Green Pea Sprouts. What I did wrong?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
5 days ago, I had decided to grow green pea sprouts. After soaking them, I transferred them to my sprouter and rinsed twice a day.
Today, I had to get rid of them, because they're small and rotten:( I don't know what I did wrong.
Have you ever tried growing green pea sprouts? Any advice would be very welcome!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They don't like staying wet, but they should have been ok in the sprouter :sick: Were they too cold?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they were rotten, it could actually be the reverse - sometimes too hot soils or temperatures (sprouters) can also kill off sprouts of that nature. Instead of being too cold I worried that they were in fact too hot; I took a sprouter reading and found out that's what was doing it for me.

One way or the other, Cold or Hot, the sprouter may have hated the twice a day wash. Maybe try one? and regulating their temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, did you soak the peas first? That's the method I am using. I'm growing pea shoots for the first time and I just set them to soak earlier this evening. Almost all plants like well-drained soil, and baby plants don't need much watering. Are you sprouting them to eat right away, or so you want to be able to snip the shoots and then have them grow back for another harvest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for your responses:)
Zigs, Shimus - I keep the sprouter on a windowsill in the kitchen. My apartment is warm, but all radiators in the kitchen are turned off. I think it's around 20 degree Celsius there.
ChanellG - Yes, I soaked them, but only a little. I kept them in water for 30 minutes.
I wanted to eat them as soon as they sprout.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Was this seed from a garden centre or seed from a supermarket?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, that isn't long enough. I soaked my peas 12 hours, drained them and then soaked them again. I wasn't satisfied with their appearance last night so I put them back to soak further. Today, the little tails are starting to push up from the seed coats. I just wrapped them in damp paper toweling and put them in a plastic bag to further sprout before planting.

I will be growing them for shoots, but since you just want sprouts you could probably just soak them longer and put them in your sprouter. chances are it wasn't warm enough where you had them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs - I used special, organic seeds for sprouting. They were expensive:(
ChanellG - I have a few seeds left. I'll soak them longer than the previous ones, maybe it will help:) Thank you for the advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Zigs - I used special, organic seeds for sprouting. They were expensive:(
ChanellG - I have a few seeds left. I'll soak them longer than the previous ones, maybe it will help:) Thank you for the advice.

How did they turn out, Claudine? I just set another batch to soak and the first shoots are now in the greenhouse. I thought of you earlier when looking through my Pinterest pins on sprouting peas. You may to sprout your peas this way:

dcd2afd061b607befd3b38996155fd7d.jpg

You could snip the tops, let the grow back and have a double crop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I haven't soaked them yet:p I've been so busy lately! Also, mung beans took over all the space in my sprouter. They grow incredibly fast. I definitely should try to plant some seeds in soil.
I had no idea that you can have a double crop from pea seeds. It's wonderful!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
To be honest, I haven't soaked them yet:p I've been so busy lately! Also, mung beans took over all the space in my sprouter. They grow incredibly fast. I definitely should try to plant some seeds in soil.
I had no idea that you can have a double crop from pea seeds. It's wonderful!:D

You can have a triple crop! Of course, if you wanted to sprout the peas for growing shoots as opposed to sprouts you would probably have to do it in a flower pot so the peas could actually develop a real root system. I'm going to experiment to see just how many times you can cut, grow them back, and then cut again, but I've read you get three cuts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please let me know, if you can grow this many in abundance that easily, I may even get back into sprouts around this time indoors as a hobby. Never knew it could go up to three cuts, I heard one was fine, and two pushed it. I thought three would kill or harm the growth, but I'm not sure as I've never tried it.

Ask a Question