Green House

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've been having a very difficult time with my Plants. When it rains, they always end up with some kind of diseases. I want to purchase a green house, but I am afraid that it would be a waste of money given we get several thunderstorm in my area. Since I don't have a huge garden, I don't want to spend too much money on a greenhouse. Does anyone have recommendationsome on how to deal with this.
Here is an example of a plants what happened after it rained last week.

20160828_192020.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We are on the same boat. It has been raining almost everyday for 2 months now and some of our crops in the extended garden have given way to nature - the red pepper, tomatoes, beans, and even the cassava had drowned from excessive water that flooded the garden). And aside from raised beds, the heavy rains surely can ruin the tender stem of vegetables like tomatoes. And like you, I am looking at the greenhouse as an expensive venture so it's out of the question. What we are thinking is to install a sort of rain-breaker like a green net over the plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This actually reminds me of a story here about a group of people who went in on a green house like fixture here, and they started producing all these crops and their goal was to be a small, self sustaining little business. I am not sure if they ever made it, but now I really want to go find out. Best of luck to you though.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We are on the same boat. It has been raining almost everyday for 2 months now and some of our crops in the extended garden have given way to nature - the red pepper, tomatoes, beans, and even the cassava had drowned from excessive water that flooded the garden). And aside from raised beds, the heavy rains surely can ruin the tender stem of vegetables like tomatoes. And like you, I am looking at the greenhouse as an expensive venture so it's out of the question. What we are thinking is to install a sort of rain-breaker like a green net over the plants.

Hi, I would just like to know if you push through in installing the rain-breaker. How's that? I'm thinking of doing the same but I am not familiar with the whole process so up to know I am still in the process of collecting information on how to do that since greenhouse would be very expensive.

Bluesamurai

Interested in plants
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make sure to get a good heating and cooling system. Heat for obvious reasons. But you will definitely need some way to shade the plants from the sun. It reflects sun good; but that’s a huge problem in the spring and summer. I know I say this stuff a lot; but working in a greenhouse throughout the year gives you this knowledge. I don’t want anyone coming into this blind like I did.

Ask a Question