Grass growing season is over, so now what?

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone has any tips on caring for the lawn as we move into the time of year (in the north east) where the grass goes into "hibernation". Feeding, seeding anything else that might lead to a greener lawn next spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm curious to know if anyone has any tips on caring for the lawn as we move into the time of year (in the north east) where the grass goes into "hibernation". Feeding, seeding anything else that might lead to a greener lawn next spring?
Nice healthy grass is dependent on a robust root system. The grass may be going dormant at this time but the roots aren't yet. Give them a good organic fertilizer now before winter fully sets in

Reaction score
Thank you kindly for that great advice. I have had terrible experiences with fertilizer applications gone wrong. I hardly trust myself to apply fertilizer in the spring. How about applying dung, to the grass around at time of year? I hear it's the healthiest thing for a lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you kindly for that great advice. I have had terrible experiences with fertilizer applications gone wrong. I hardly trust myself to apply fertilizer in the spring. How about applying dung, to the grass around at time of year? I hear it's the healthiest thing for a lawn.
If the manure is completely dry that is fine. Commercial organic fertilizers, which any good nursery will have, are not like chemical fertilizers in any shape or form. Chemical fertilizers are time sensitive and amount sensitive, meaning you have to put out at a specific time and in a specified rate of application. With organic fertilizers this is not applicable. You can put it out at any time and the application rate really doesn't exist. You won't burn anything except a hole in your wallet by using more then you need. I am not sure what brands of organic fertilizers are available in the NE but I think Espoma is. If you put out fertilizer now and then in the spring apply it again with a thin layer of compost or your dried manure you will have a fantastic and healthy turf

Reaction score
If the manure is completely dry that is fine. Commercial organic fertilizers, which any good nursery will have, are not like chemical fertilizers in any shape or form. Chemical fertilizers are time sensitive and amount sensitive, meaning you have to put out at a specific time and in a specified rate of application. With organic fertilizers this is not applicable. You can put it out at any time and the application rate really doesn't exist. You won't burn anything except a hole in your wallet by using more then you need. I am not sure what brands of organic fertilizers are available in the NE but I think Espoma is. If you put out fertilizer now and then in the spring apply it again with a thin layer of compost or your dried manure you will have a fantastic and healthy turf
Fantastic. Ty!

Ask a Question