Good books on plants and gardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need a recommendation of a good book about plants or gardening.i get a lot of questions that I don't know the answer to at work.i don't have the time to take a class

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Nice of you to try and help others with their gardening questions.

You don't mention if the questions you get are specific to your area or not, nor the nature of the questions. One of my favorites is an older version Readers Digest Gardening book, Readers Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening is what I think it is. It's great, very informative and good plant information. Not sure of the UK availability.

What I would suggest is go to your local charity stores and look through their gardening books, most have lots. You should be able to find some that are somewhat generic and some more specific to your locations or region. They are usually very inexpensive. I've put together a nice little gardening library made up of book purchased from the local used book store that support our local library. They sometime have gardening magazines also.

Do keep in mind books might seem to have most or all of the answers, but it doesn't always work that way in the in the garden.

Good luck (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you can get a copy of Botanica, edited by R.G. Turner, Jr. which has 10,000 plants described with growing conditions, propagating, and growing zones, it will answer most of the questions asked of you. Most of the plants are illustrated, which is very helpful.
The ISBN for Botanica is 0-7607-1642-0. Search for the book at used book stores or on-line book suppliers. We bought our copy several years ago, and it has been invaluable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi Michael. I agree with Greenhorn, I have bought lots of gardening books at secondhand shops, cheap, so you can afford to buy lots of lovely inspiring, wonderful, informative reference books..I'm sure you will enjoy this forum.

Ask a Question