Good bee-friendly flowers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What types of flowers do you guys recommend for attracting pollinators? I've had to live in apartments since moving to the city a bit over a year ago. I made the switch to container gardening and love it but it's not easy to attract bees and butterflies to our balcony.

I had some purple salvia that was attracting bees but the first bloom died off a while back and it hasn't bloomed again yet. The nasturtiums have stopped flowering since this awful hot weather started (it's been 95+ degrees every single day). I planted some wildflowers but those haven't bloomed yet.

The only plant that's currently attracting bees is this speedwell:

CL1qTRh.jpg

I have no idea how it's tolerating this heat but I love it :). I would really appreciate suggestions for other plants I could try. They don't have to be super heat-tolerant because I'll be moving back up north in a couple months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We keep bees, and find that zinnias, borage, any of the salvia greggiis, and roses make bees happy.
If we knew where you are, and where "back up north" is, perhaps we could come up with better suggestions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We keep bees, and find that zinnias, borage, any of the salvia greggiis, and roses make bees happy.
If we knew where you are, and where "back up north" is, perhaps we could come up with better suggestions!

Haha, good point, I should have mentioned my location!

I currently live in Nashville, TN and am moving to Seattle, WA :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Many "weeds" such as thistle, clover and dandelions are great for bees! When I had a clover lawn they were everywhere in between mowing. But if you're in an apartment that probably isnt an option.

Bee balm plants will work where you live. Actually I think most flowering plants native to your region would. Here up north I get a lot around my hosta flowers. They also seem to like cosmos and petunias.

My favourite garden center labels plants (perennials anyhow) as bee/hummingbird friendly. Wandering through a good garden center (NOT big box store) and asking the employees for information would probably be inspirational.
:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The perennial, Aster, I have noticed attract the bees in one of my gardens. I know that they are suppose to be good for polination, but I am OK if they do not come around while I am working out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Many "weeds" such as thistle, clover and dandelions are great for bees! When I had a clover lawn they were everywhere in between mowing. But if you're in an apartment that probably isnt an option.

Bee balm plants will work where you live. Actually I think most flowering plants native to your region would. Here up north I get a lot around my hosta flowers. They also seem to like cosmos and petunias.

My favourite garden center labels plants (perennials anyhow) as bee/hummingbird friendly. Wandering through a good garden center (NOT big box store) and asking the employees for information would probably be inspirational.
:)

Yeah, being in an apartment restricts what I can do. In the past, I encouraged the growth of dandelions, clovers....even garlic mustard! I'm a big proponent of harvesting and eating local greens.

I can't believe I forgot about bee balm! Mine went nuts when I lived in New York. Does it do alright in containers?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
From the website, "Buzz About Bees," I cut and pasted this list of suggestions for you. I'd imagine a lot of these plants could be grown in a container!! (y)
Here's the actual site:
http://www.buzzaboutbees.net/bee-plants.html

Garden Plants for Bees
Links to some lovely plants enjoyed by bees and other pollinators, such as butterflies. A seasonal guide.

Herbs for Bees
Many herbs are great for attracting bees, as well as being useful in the kitchen! Find out which ones are useful in the bee garden!

Wildflowers for Bees
Many wildflower habitats have been destroyed due to building development and farming practices. But you can help wildlife by including some in your garden design.

Flower Bulbs For Bees
Bulbs are easy to grow, and versatile for lawns, pots, borders and even problem places, such as shade and drought.

Lawns
Even if you only have a small space, here's how to use that space to encourage bees and other pollinating insects.

Trees, Shrubs and Hedgerows for Bees
Trees, shrubs and hedgerows provide excellent opportunities for wildlife. Bees may forage on nectar and pollen, and may also find suitable nest sites too!

Fruit and Vegetables
Fancy growing your own organic fruit & veg? Feed yourself and the bees too!

Plants for Problem Places
Even if you have clay soil, drought or shade, attracting bees is certainly possible!

Hope that helps, at least a little!! :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
As a rule of thumb, brightly coloured and sweet scented flowers are good for pollinators. Where I come from, there are many coffee plantations. Coffee trees have sweet scented flowers and bees have a field day foraging for pollen from these plants. Rose flowers are also nice and so are flowers from the avocado plant. Its good to have plants that produce flowers all year round to prevent shortages during some seasons whe you would be forced to use supplements to feed pollinators.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Coffee trees have sweet scented flowers and bees have a field day foraging for pollen from these plants.
I'd have never guessed coffee trees had sweet smelling flowers!

:ROFLMAO: I have this mental picture of a swarm of hopped up bees buzzing maniacally around the coffee plants!! :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, being in an apartment restricts what I can do. In the past, I encouraged the growth of dandelions, clovers....even garlic mustard! I'm a big proponent of harvesting and eating local greens.

I can't believe I forgot about bee balm! Mine went nuts when I lived in New York. Does it do alright in containers?

Sorry I missed this @redpanda ... I'm sure some of the smaller varieties will. There are many that get. 2-4' and a five gallon pot would work fine. Here's my smaller one in the ground.
Oh - if you let mint go , it flowers profusely in pots!

Attachments

• 20160826_070057.jpg
    20160826_070057.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 266

Ask a Question