Glass bottle garden ideas

Reaction score
In this age of trying to recycle just about about everything we can rather than throw it away - do you ever wonder what to do with all your empty bottles and jars ?

Obviously some us will have more empty bottles :D and jars than others - but instead of putting them in the recycling bin - there are hundreds of ways that they can be put to good use in the garden - especially as many of them come in different shapes, sizes and colors.

Here are just a few of the many - very creatives ways in which to use empty bottles and jars in the garden - how about

making a glass mosaic bed to which you could then add plants to compliment the colors of the glass

bottle mosaic-glass-garden.jpg

or an unusual garden container

bottle garden-container-gardening-22.jpg

If you have trouble with flowering plants you could always make your own like this beer bottle tree in full blossom

Bottle gardens beer bottle blossom.jpg

or as planters for succulents

bottle garden wine bottles and candles.jpg

or maybe as a colorful fencing panel

bottle garden fencing X.jpg

or used as edging instead of rocks, bricks or wood

bottle-garden-borders-2.jpg

As you can see there are plenty of ways in which to use our empty bottles and jars in the garden - will you be thinking of trying out some of these ideas and what other creatives ideas do you have - for using empty glass bottles and jars in or around the garden ?

Reaction score
I can't believe how creative some people are. These gardens are beautiful but were done with common, household objects - bottles.
Maybe I will try to recreate some of the gardens pictured here. I wish I had more ideas for using bottles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A neighborhood house has used the tumbled blue glass with bricks and gravel as part of a little front garden. I always thought it was quite attractive and really tied the blue pots into the garden. Tumbled glass has no sharp edges so is safe to walk on.
image.jpg

Reaction score
That amazing! I loved the idea portrayed in the second picture! I'd love to have a planter like that, it looks so original!!! Just think of the amazing combinations you can create if you mix bottles of different colours!!! Such a great idea!!!! :love:

I thought this was lovely and worth checking out:

planters-wine-bottle-chandalier1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like the planter and the fence, it's a really good idea! I suppose it would also be appropriate if you're like me and enjoy having the odd glass of something nice sat in the garden :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, these ideas are so creative! I love the planters for succulents. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that it's not easy to cut glass:( If it was, I'd make something like this too! It's such a unique decoration.
I also love the chandelier, I find it very pretty!:love:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice, but I think Health & Safety would have a cow if they saw all that non safety glass lying around :D

You can get bottle cutters Claudine and its not hard to melt sharp edges with a gas flame :)

Reaction score
In this age of trying to recycle just about about everything we can rather than throw it away - do you ever wonder what to do with all your empty bottles and jars ?

Obviously some us will have more empty bottles :D and jars than others - but instead of putting them in the recycling bin - there are hundreds of ways that they can be put to good use in the garden - especially as many of them come in different shapes, sizes and colors.

Here are just a few of the many - very creatives ways in which to use empty bottles and jars in the garden - how about

making a glass mosaic bed to which you could then add plants to compliment the colors of the glass

View attachment 1829

or an unusual garden container

View attachment 1831

If you have trouble with flowering plants you could always make your own like this beer bottle tree in full blossom

View attachment 1830

or as planters for succulents

View attachment 1833

or maybe as a colorful fencing panel

View attachment 1834

or used as edging instead of rocks, bricks or wood

View attachment 1832

As you can see there are plenty of ways in which to use our empty bottles and jars in the garden - will you be thinking of trying out some of these ideas and what other creatives ideas do you have - for using empty glass bottles and jars in or around the garden ?
I really am dazzled by your creativity in your use of the bottles. The bottles really make your edging pop out in a way that I have never seen before. Thank you for sharing that with us, it is very original and very unique!

Reaction score
Jewell - I too love seeing tumbled glass in the garden and think it looks really attractive when mixed with gravel, boulders and flint and have often used it in the past myself - I like to mix it with various colored flints and gravels to add a flowing effect to planters turned on their side or near water features - if kept subtle enough it can add a really striking effect to any garden :)

Becky - I think you'd love having a bottle garden - especially as you say that you enjoy having the odd glass or two of something delicious whilst sitting in the garden - just think you would probably enjoy it even more - knowing that you were contributing to the growth of your garden :D

claudine - as Zigs has already mentioned its really easy to cut glass and there are many glass cutting machines available to buy, they are pretty inexpensive too - unless of course you require something more sophisticated because you've moved on from simple glass cutting to creating glass mosaics :D
I used to have one similar to this

bottle cutter.jpg

which are really easy to use - and think you'd be surprised at the many wonderful things that you can make if you had one - unfortunately I seem to have mislaid mine - but after starting this thread am going to to give some very serious thought - at investing in a new one :)

zigs - :oops: - they may - but don't really think it would be an issue - as I'm thinking or rather hoping - that most people would be sensible enough not to put decorative glass items in areas of heavy traffic or where small children or animals could be affected by them if they were to break - which I think would be pretty hard to do anyway - especially as most bottles, particularly wine bottles are pretty robust and therefore hard to break :D
Just out of curiosity and no offense meant - but because we don't have them where I live - do you have such a thing as garden health and safety laws in the UK - where inspectors come round to make sure that you are not breaking the law on safety issue.?

firelily99 - thank you once again - am pleased you like them and although I have and do use glass creatively in the garden - the pictures on this thread are not actually of my garden :) but would agree with you that some of them are pretty unique and hope that some of the ideas in this thread will inspire others to do the same - especially as many of these ideas can be very cheaply and easily be achieved - with the recycled materials often being provided in a very enjoyable way :D

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the idea of the fencing panel made of colored bottles...It not only beautifies but I can imagine when the sun shines thru them how pretty it must look. I have to look into making one of these for my garden!

Reaction score
I really like the colored bottle fence panel too warmweartherwoman - think it would look really striking with the sun shining through it - as well as at night with the light reflecting off it :)

Here are a few more inspiring but very simple ideas for re- cycling your empty bottles

Decorative outdoor candles

bottle gardens WildberryCandleShelters.jpg

Hanging Outdoor Lanterns

bottle _wine_bottle_candle_holder.jpg

Make a unique and colorful support for your climbing plants

bottle garden art glassstuff.jpg

Garden art - great idea for those whose gardens lack flowering plants - make your own

bottle garden art bottle_flower.jpg

Or if you were feeling really adventurous and had both building and glass cutting skills - you may like to try this very

bottle garden Deep Ellum Dallas.jpg

creative idea :D

Ask a Question