Giving away plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I admit that I have given away a lot of plants to a lot of people. I always give instructions about care, placement, and then hope for the best. When we lived in town we gave garden tours (free, no charge) and were often asked for a cutting or start. We gave them if we had them.
However, there were a few people who treated our garden as a garden center without a cash register. No "please, thank you" just "I want some of that." They didn't get anything, and were sometimes a bit huffy about not receiving a free landscape.
How do you feel about giving away plants? Do you give care instructions? Are there some people you just know in your heart are not going to take care of your plants?

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
It's such a good thing that there are people like you that are highly interested in everything regarding plants and nature, that's really amazing. I've never given away any of my plants because these costs me some money and well, you know the situation is not way too good nowadays and therefore, I could not give things away so easily. My aunt gifted me a plant some months ago and I still have it, the thing is that she never told me how to take proper care of it and I had to find out by myself, other than that, it's all fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I love to give cuttings from my garden and also love to receive them. But I'm sure I wouldn't if I felt I was being used like some of you visitors. After all we love our plant and want to share, not provide.
I grew a couple of rosemary hedges and now they are quite big and one hedge is quite overgrown and as I can only use so much rosemary I dug up a nice big one and gave it to a friend who had said she would appreciate a cutting.... it was a very large cutting and she really appreciated it. Also a friend is moving into a unit soon which is being built so a bare garden. It's one of two units so I have already decided that I will give them each a house warming big bushy rosemary and at the moment they are flowering so very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Some of the yard customers I have worked for have given away lily of the valley or hostas.

Ask a Question