Garlic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a seasoned garlic grower; last year was my first attempt, and that went well.
So, in order to get some early this year, I put a bulb into the fridge last October, and into two planters in the polytunnel in November.

For some reason that I don't know, 1 lot didn't grow, but the other planter provided me with six bulbs today.
They are hardneck garlic, so the bulbs aren't huge, but, oh! the flavour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You know, in all my garlic-loving, vegetable-growing years I have never grown garlic.
When I was a kid in the UK we'd go on walks looking for wild garlic which is great but has a much milder taste.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You know, in all my garlic-loving, vegetable-growing years I have never grown garlic.
When I was a kid in the UK we'd go on walks looking for wild garlic which is great but has a much milder taste.

Garlic is probably the most care free vegetable one can grow. Plant the cloves in the Fall and harvest in July the following year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's great, Headfullofbees, I'm happy for you!:)
Personally, I can't stand the taste of garlic, but I might start growing it for my boyfriend. If it's so easy, it's worth a try:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Garlic is probably the most care free vegetable one can grow. Plant the cloves in the Fall and harvest in July the following year.

Really....I may do that! I love garlic.
@claudine, I can't imagine not liking the taste of garlic but I imagine you could grow it inside easily enough. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Really....I may do that! I love garlic.
@claudine, I can't imagine not liking the taste of garlic but I imagine you could grow it inside easily enough. :)
I hate it with all my heart:p
Does the plant itself smell? Now, when I think of it, I really don't want my apartment to smell like garlic, lol;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is drying off in my greenhouse, where it will also act as a pest repellent.
It honks to high heaven until it dries.
I remember that the cloves I planted in the other pot were tiny, but I thought I'd give them a go and see how they fared anyway, as I'm not pushed for space.

Reaction score
I absolutely love garlic. I have never grown garlic but this year I planted the bulbs. Has anyone here ever grown garlic? My neighbor told me that she grows it every year. I will just have to wait to see what happens.

Reaction score
I love garlic, but I'm not sure if I'd start growing my own. I sometimes worry a bit about the smell of the whole head of garlic we get from the super market (moldy), but I'm not sure if that would be a strong enough reason to grow my own :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use garlic a lot when cooking, and I love roasted garlic as a whole clove with my steak sometime. I haven't grown garlic yet, but after reading this thread, I might start soon now that Fall is here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm not a seasoned garlic grower; last year was my first attempt, and that went well.
So, in order to get some early this year, I put a bulb into the fridge last October, and into two planters in the polytunnel in November.

For some reason that I don't know, 1 lot didn't grow, but the other planter provided me with six bulbs today.
They are hardneck garlic, so the bulbs aren't huge, but, oh! the flavour!

I would suggest that you wrap the bulbs in old newspaper before putting inside the vegetable section of the fridge. The newspaper will serve as shield to somehow control the temperature. I think that 1 lot with no growth was due to the rotten garlic. Maybe the fridge was too cold for it. Garlic farmers here hang their harvest for preservation. They said dry air is good for the harvested garlic.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Garlic is a must have in my cooking. I use it for most of my stews and wouldn't mind growing it for my use. Now that I know it is not so hard to grow, I will definitely grow some in my garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Garlic is really easy to grow--about the only effort involved is keeping it weeded (garlic hates competition from weeds.)
I hang my "dirty" garlic that still has quite a bit of soil attached in the barn to dry. When the bulbs start to shed a bit of the "paper", and the leaves are completely yellow, I take it down, clean off the dirty part, cut away the leaves, and leave it in a bowl in the pantry.
Warning: homegrown garlic that is air dried is a lot stronger than grocery garlic. Use a little, then add more if needed in any dish.

Ask a Question