Garlic vine - Mansoa alliacea

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I love creepers and have quite a few of them all over the place but the garlic vine draws everyone's attention. The flowers bloom twice or thrice in the year and when they do they steal the show. It gets the name because it has a strong garlic odour. Whether the leaves are edible is what I have to find out.

Attachments

• DSC04710.JPG
    DSC04710.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 392
  • partially bloomed gvine.JPG
    partially bloomed gvine.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 382
  • prplesingle.jpg
    prplesingle.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 370
  • purple1.jpg
    purple1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 386
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've never heard of garlic vine, but now I'm intrigued! Do be sure to let us know if you discover the leaves are edible. I started some garlic last year; it survived the winter and the rains and I'm looking forward to actually harvesting for once.

Reaction score
Those vines are beautiful! Why is it named garlic vine? Is it just a name or there is a reason for that? Those vines do have huge flowers =D Very nice! Doubt something like this would grow in my climate, but very nice find!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, that was a very interesting read. I had no idea this vine was so popular in those Latino american countries, I've been to Mexico so many times, and I believe I've seen this one vine, but I didn't know its name... until now. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Thank you for the link, that was a very interesting read. I had no idea this vine was so popular in those Latino american countries, I've been to Mexico so many times, and I believe I've seen this one vine, but I didn't know its name... until now. Thanks :)
Many of us I think do not know the names of many flowers and I too am one of them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Garlic vine looks very pretty! I've never seen anything like it in person. Those flowers are stunning. But, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the smell of garlic, so I'm not sure if I'd like to grow this plant in my garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Garlic vine looks very pretty! I've never seen anything like it in person. Those flowers are stunning. But, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the smell of garlic, so I'm not sure if I'd like to grow this plant in my garden.
It is only when you smell the leaves that you will know it has a garlic odour. There is no smell in the air:)

Ask a Question