Gardening Therapy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lately I have been going through some personal issues and have taken solice in both my small little garden, as well as looking at the beautiful growing things in everyone elses gardens. It is nice to get lost in the moving of soil as well as the green leaves and blossoms that eventually rise to make our world a little more happy. How has gardening helped your soul?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope everything works out for you Rosyrain. I find it connects me with my inner child, you know playing in the dirt and all. It just brings me to a happy place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gardening has helped me about the same way it has helped you. I can get so lost in planting a seed, and getting my hands dirty. I also enjoy watching earthworms crawl around, doing their job. LOL I suspect we're made that way, because everyone I know is somewhat soothed and refreshed by some form of gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am the same too. It really nice to have a place to get away and relax. When I'm planting or even just watering my flowers and garden that's my "me" time. Plus, its nice to prove my husband wrong when my flowers or vegetables flourish!! :p .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Mentally I find it relaxing, there's nothing like being out in the fresh air and working with nature. :)

Working in the garden is a place to escape and switch off from everything else in our day to day lives. Doctors here are now 'prescribing' gardening to help many health issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I too find gardening a great refuge. The harder I work, the more I am distracted from my stresses.

I have a very dear friend who suffered a massive stroke last October. Every day at the hospital for three months then, coordinating his tranfer to a new accommodation, hoyer lift., wheelchair, nursing, plus taking care of his flat have made me very much appreciate getting outside and digging or anything that doesn't insist on making me think too hard!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Gardening is such a great hobby. There are always expectations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I find gardening to be a great therapist. It can distract me from worries and sadness when needed and also gives me pleasure, a sense of achievement, wonderment and a work out. When I am watering the garden the rainbow that appears in the shower connects me to my mum who passed away 15 years ago. I'm new at gardening and I know she IS very impressed!!!! It's a comforting feeling, not a sad one. I'm sure being out in the weather come rain, hail or shine......perhaps not hail, is good for us all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I too find gardening a great refuge. The harder I work, the more I am distracted from my stresses.

I have a very dear friend who suffered a massive stroke last October. Every day at the hospital for three months then, coordinating his tranfer to a new accommodation, hoyer lift., wheelchair, nursing, plus taking care of his flat have made me very much appreciate getting outside and digging or anything that doesn't insist on making me think too hard!
I'm sure your garden is a great help to you. Hope things settle for your friend.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been helping me a lot recently.

Had a bit of a breakdown as some of you already know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Been helping me a lot recently.

Had a bit of a breakdown as some of you already know.

Sorry to hear that Zigs. My father went through shock treatments in the bad old days. Thank goodness people ar now aware of just how many share these periods of depression. Been there myself years ago.

Breakdowns only happen to caring people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
((zigs))

I don't enjoy house work, but playing in the garden makes me feel connected with Everything. Getting grubby, watching and tending growing things, finding bugs and tree frogs and other living things that I would never have noticed otherwise is all very soul-satisfying to me. It's very mindful and in-the-moment.

Also it rocks when I can eat and share stuff I grow. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lately, nothing has been helping me. I'm going through a really hard time now.
However, I remember when a new miniature rose was enough to make me jump from happiness. Taking care of plants can be very rewarding and relaxing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm bipolar and go through periods of depression, followed by periods of mild mania. Either way, my husband always tells me that buying plants "is cheap therapy". And he's right. It does cost a lot less than a therapist, and does about 100 times more good for me.

I like to surround myself in beauty - whether it's nature or man made. Gardening kind of combines the two - I plan and design a garden and plant it, water it, feed it, nurture it. Then nature takes over and produces such beautiful things.

Working in the garden is good for my mind, looking at it is good for my soul.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Enjoy your gardens everyone, it will give you pleasure, comfort and doesn't answer back when you want to escape the world around you. :)

Ask a Question