Gardening as a diet plan :)

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have discovered another hidden blessing of becoming a gardener. When I grow my food it causes me to connect to the food in a new way. Going to the store and buying food isn't very satisfying. But when I plant the seeds, and tend the plant, water it, watch it grow and then harvest the food it takes on a new and deeper meaning for me. I find that I feel an appreciation and a wonder about the miracle of living things, and a gratitude for the good healthy food and what it does for my body. Then I find my interest in healthy eating has increased greatly, even for food I didn't grow. All this has helped me focus on healthy eating to live, rather than the instant indulgence of living to eat whatever junk came home from the store with me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have discovered another hidden blessing of becoming a gardener. When I grow my food it causes me to connect to the food in a new way. Going to the store and buying food isn't very satisfying. But when I plant the seeds, and tend the plant, water it, watch it grow and then harvest the food it takes on a new and deeper meaning for me. I find that I feel an appreciation and a wonder about the miracle of living things, and a gratitude for the good healthy food and what it does for my body. Then I find my interest in healthy eating has increased greatly, even for food I didn't grow. All this has helped me focus on healthy eating to live, rather than the instant indulgence of living to eat whatever junk came home from the store with me!
Plus you save all that money on exercise machines:)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
That's a really good one.

I never thought gardening could actually assist with diet planning. But now you shared how it works, it is amazing how you yearn to eat your own grown food and frown at those from the store (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I personally get lots of satisfaction from going to the store and buying all sorts of yummy things I can't grow myself: bacon, spices, butter, olives, bacon, anchovies, bacon, coconut milk, Thai spicy peanut sauce, bacon, coffee, bacon, etc. :D

But I also love being able to go out and pick ingredients for my dinner. A mess of greens (add bacon.) Ratatouille ingredients. Green beans to sautee with anchovies. Carrots and dill cooked with butter. Chunks of eggplant and summer squash and onion (better with bacon, did I mention that?)

Seriously though, I do agree. I don't plan my diet; I eat lots of veggies and legumes year-round. But I love the few months out of each year where I can nurture my plants...and then eat them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I personally get lots of satisfaction from going to the store and buying all sorts of yummy things I can't grow myself: bacon, spices, butter, olives, bacon, anchovies, bacon, coconut milk, Thai spicy peanut sauce, bacon, coffee, bacon, etc. :D

But I also love being able to go out and pick ingredients for my dinner. A mess of greens (add bacon.) Ratatouille ingredients. Green beans to sautee with anchovies. Carrots and dill cooked with butter. Chunks of eggplant and summer squash and onion (better with bacon, did I mention that?)

Seriously though, I do agree. I don't plan my diet; I eat lots of veggies and legumes year-round. But I love the few months out of each year where I can nurture my plants...and then eat them. :)

Lol, you have me cracking up! Now, I want to go and cook me some bacon, right now!

Ask a Question