Garden Tiller

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Which brand of garden tiller (not cultivator) do you use for hard soil?
Looking at several with tines in the back.
There are numerous brands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The absolute best IMO is the TroyBuilt Horse, especially with the hiller/furrow attachment. It's a little expensive is why I have to rent one every few years. This thing will almost dig through concrete

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The size of the area sort of dictates your choice. The modern rototillers consist of a lot of junk, so be careful. I have rented some and some are almost useless. The rear tines do a good job but one needs a large area. I have a large one and the small Honda FG110 cultivator. I tend to use the cultivator more since my area is about 1500 square feet. Both mine are front tines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
the box stores sell tillers.. you get what you pay for there :whistle:.....
they are made from stamped metal.... and whatever you do never buy a front tine tiller, per waste of money. if your a serious gardener look around a purchase a "troy bilt" that has a cast iron body if you take care of it , it will outlive you..
also check craigslist somebody is getting out of gardening......

best to till up soil while it's damp, you might have to do a couple pass's. been adding compost and black cow to my main garden for years. the tiller can walk itself 10+" deep almost in a straight line..
DSC_0010.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Spoke with my neighbor farmer who would remove the sod with his caterpillar. Should make things easier. Removing sod by hand would be quite a chore. Wonder if his shovel could till the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
remember tilling the slope down in our valley garden. As I was tilling, I also placed bags of compost and manure at intervals so it was mixing and blending the soil with the other two ingredients. gravity helped with the downward motion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
up here we have very hard clay/ rocky soil. rear tines have a hard time breaking it up. usually wind up breaking pins and sometimes tines! i bought a small front tine from tractor supply. takes a hell of a beating but has done the job for the last 3 yrs. with no issues.
i use it mostly in my raspberry patch which is pretty small which is perfect for this tiller great for mixing up compost piles too. not a fan of front tines as it takes some work to control them but they take a lot more abuse than the rear tine and i paid $250 for it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A front tine tiller may be the most useful overall. For digging deep I like a reversible tine tiller because they dont jump as bad as the forward tine type can, which can cause a wreck in tight places.

Ask a Question