Garden Privacy Ideas

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some ideas to give your yard some privacy? I like this one!

privacy-fence-21.jpeg

http://www.thegardenglove.com/need-privacy-diy-garden-privacy-ideas/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Bamboo is pretty popular here as a way of giving some privacy to yards.

3140515194_14a04fd5ab_z.jpg

I love the look of it too - this picture in particular I think is a cool way to structure it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The bamboo fence is popular here although I see that in the upscale villages. That is a good idea because bamboo is cool unlike the metal fence which absorbs heat. And as what we can see in the photo, the bamboo fence is a good wall for hanging plants. However, bamboo is very expensive here - 1 long pole costs more than $1 so it is kind of prohibitive even to the middle class.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a 6 ft stockade fence around my back yard for privacy, plus it gives me a micro climate
I can grow some plants sooner than others around me, in the winter the snow won't last on the driveway because it warms up faster.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hedges made up of gates and vines are also great that not only protects your privacy but really makes the garden look prettier especially if there are overhead structures in vines as well. I've been to a cafe surrounded by this kind where there are also benches so that one can relax and enjoy the landscaping. The overhead vines protect customers from the heat of the sun as well. Adding a few decorative blooms won't hurt either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For things like the original picture, I guess it depends on where you live, but I would prefer to use some material that can be used by climbing vines, especially stuff that produces flowers. But of course if you live further north, that would mean no privacy in the winter.

Also as the bamboo picture showed, you can kill two birds with one stone, create some type of barrier that can hold pots and plants. I´ve seen really beautiful walls built with empty plastic coke bottles, and then they end up greatly increasing your growable area.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I like the second one as it gives such a tropical environment to the garden.I think that maybe some glass with vines on top would look perfect to protect a garden.It matches the plants and it looks great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like all these ideas!:)
A few years ago, my parents planted shrubs around their garden. They're really big now and they give us a lot of privacy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They all have their place I think, but I like the bamboo fences. They give a natural look to the surroundings, and they are in keeping with the natural element. I would use a bamboo hedge if I was in a city area and wanted my garden to be private. It is just one of the ways that I think people could have some of the privacy they need and desire.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think a simple hedge or so would do the trick. I mean, it's part of the garden, and it is also a barrier that would set the boundaries of your garden. I think it's a win-win situation for everyone, and it STILL is a part of the garden, plants and all, so it wouldn't look so out of place, compared to other suggestions like rock formations, or just wood panels. I don't know, it seems pretty low maintenance and it has that majestic theme to it, and that's why I really like the idea. Also, maze, who doesn't like to have a maze in their own backyard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to work out what to use for privacy. I have a large area of decking to the rear of my garden, and the neighbors fence is very short, they have a building which someone lives in right next to my decking and they always have their window open so i would have no privacy at all if i used my decking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I would think that you would not want to distract from the garden itself in anyway. That said, I like the idea of just having some taller bushes to kind of be the outline for the garden. If you choose to go the fence route, though, I would say a more natural looking fence would certainly be preferable, and for some reason bamboo is coming to mind as a good option. There are some good options, though, which is certainly good news. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
We use a comfrey fence but it has proved to be unreliable since it tends to be weather beaten when its hot. I am thinking of using barbed wire to replace the fence before cutting it down to plant a new one. I suppose a thorny cactus fence would be quite fine as it would offer protection against intruders.

Ask a Question