Fruit puree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went out to dinner last night and had a raspberry tiniest that had a raspberry puree mixed into it. It was very delicious and got me to thinking about making my own purees from berries that I grow. Does anyone know how well puree holds up in the freezer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went out to dinner last night and had a raspberry tiniest that had a raspberry puree mixed into it. It was very delicious and got me to thinking about making my own purees from berries that I grow. Does anyone know how well puree holds up in the freezer?
I freeze whole strawberrys and when I put them in the food processor they taste just like fresh, so I don't see much difference

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We purée and freeze all the fruits we grow from apples to Worcester berries and the purée lasts really well without much deterioration. I am still eating apple from 2 years ago and there is nothing wrong with it. This is just pure fruit, nothing added. Don't know what happens to stuff with sugar in it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think I will add sugar or anything to mine. It is a good way to save fruits and berries when you don't have an immediate use for them and the puree tastes fantastic in a cocktail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried to freeze a fruit puree.
Usually, I freeze whole strawberries. Whenever I want to eat something delicious, I put them in an oven, add some flour and butter and make yummy crumble:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A good fruit crumble actually sounds really good right now. My favorite are apple and black berrry crumbles. I have never tried a strawberry one before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried an apple crumble:) It sounds good!
A strawberry crumble is one of my favorite desserts, because it's very easy to make. I just mix equal amounts of flour, sugar and butter and bake it with strawberries for 15 minutes. Usually, I eat it in winter, when I miss fresh strawberries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't think I will add sugar or anything to mine. It is a good way to save fruits and berries when you don't have an immediate use for them and the puree tastes fantastic in a cocktail.

I recently came across a recipe for grape sorbet. All that was required was to puree grapes and mix them with castor sugar. Unfortunately I don't have an ice cream machine, so the texture of mine came out a bit icy. It still taste good though, so I might try the same thing with other fruits.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?TQYWH 15 September 2012 Raspberry Dessert
Fresh picked raspberries were made into a delicious dessert. Weight was 30 ounces.The berries were put through the Champion Juice to remove the seeds.The output is a fine dessert, but may be North Americanized by putting a gob of canned whip cream atop.I don’t believe the seeds should be ingested by humans.
URL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?TQYWH 15 September 2012 Raspberry Dessert
Fresh picked raspberries were made into a delicious dessert. Weight was 30 ounces.The berries were put through the Champion Juice to remove the seeds.The output is a fine dessert, but may be North Americanized by putting a gob of canned whip cream atop.I don’t believe the seeds should be ingested by humans.
URL
Isn't the deal, we get the fruit, but in return disseminate the seeds in our "waste"?
Are we being unfair to nature?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
At least when you pick the raspberries yourself, you know that the 'seeds' really are seeds. In the past in Britain, Raspberry Jam (Jelly) was made from either sweetened and coloured turnip or Rhubarb and the 'seeds' were tiny bits of wood. There was quite a cottage industry making the 'seeds'.
Been eating the seeds on Raspberries for the last 69 years, I ain't dead yet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
At least when you pick the raspberries yourself, you know that the 'seeds' really are seeds. In the past in Britain, Raspberry Jam (Jelly) was made from either sweetened and coloured turnip or Rhubarb and the 'seeds' were tiny bits of wood. There was quite a cottage industry making the 'seeds'.
Been eating the seeds on Raspberries for the last 69 years, I ain't dead yet!
Tiny bits of wood?:eek::eek::eek: This is so weird! I hope I didn't eat a jam like this.
As for normal raspberry seeds, I don't think they're harmful. I've been eating them since I was a child and I'm fine:)

Ask a Question