Fruit peels

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I wish we were taught to eat fruit with the peel, when we were kids. Today I do not relish any fruit without peeling it except may be applies. Apart from making marmalade from orange peels I have no knowledge of peels being used for anything else.
I just came to know that citrus peels are dipped in chocolate. I am not sure if they are dried peels.
Chocolate_coated_citrus_peel_01 (2).jpg

Image credit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chocolate_coated_citrus_peel_01.jpg

What is your experience with fruit peels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, I LOVE them, dipped in dark chocolate. There's a grocery chain store here called Trader Joes; they have them. Also chocolate-dipped mango slices.
Never tried to make them myself, I guess they'd have to be maybe boiled or preserved somehow first to make them not too bitter and tough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't know that you can use the peel for that purpose either. I have known that some people using banana peel to rub on their dark spots and it lightened up, but other than that, I am clueless!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to eat the peel of the orange and lemon often I do not peel the fruit I just eat the whole thing. I do get looks from other people but I like the peels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh, I LOVE them, dipped in dark chocolate. There's a grocery chain store here called Trader Joes; they have them. Also chocolate-dipped mango slices.
Never tried to make them myself, I guess they'd have to be maybe boiled or preserved somehow first to make them not too bitter and tough.
Now I am getting tempted to try it out myself :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I think marmalade! Hmmm, now I think I'll experiment with different peels that are not typically put up in marmalade.

can't do it today because I have to work but thanks for the wake up!

Reaction score
Not the peels from the non organic fruits we get from the super market, that is for sure! By the way, in my country of origin they like making liquors , fruit ones, the peel is the thing we use for that. You can make all sorts of fruit liquors, but my favorite one is the lemon one :)

FK2QVOIGY18QVPC.LARGE.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Not the peels from the non organic fruits we get from the super market, that is for sure! By the way, in my country of origin they like making liquors , fruit ones, the peel is the thing we use for that. You can make all sorts of fruit liquors, but my favorite one is the lemon one :)

We have made wine from many fruits but not with the skins. Good idea. May be I can try my hand with mango peels.

FK2QVOIGY18QVPC.LARGE.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have heard that the inside of a banana peel will shine shoes. lol As a kid I always ate the peel with my oranges but no longer do so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I like to eat the peel of the orange and lemon often I do not peel the fruit I just eat the whole thing. I do get looks from other people but I like the peels.

That is a hard thing to do. To each their own. You are smart. Skin contains goodness too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have heard that the inside of a banana peel will shine shoes. lol As a kid I always ate the peel with my oranges but no longer do so.
I also read somewhere that hibiscus is used to polish shoes and hence the name 'shoe flower' :)

Ask a Question