Fishing for cool ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey y'all, we moved to a new place a month ago. The backyard is pretty big and I'll have room for my raised beds. Almost half the yard has sun all day, so it shouldn't be a problem.

There are some nice and big oak trees, and some plants already there. For example, grapes are covering a big part of the fence. I'd like to know what kind of grapes and if they're edible (are all kinds of grapes edible?) and I wouldn't mind making a little bit of wine if they were good enough ;) If somebody here knows their grapes and wants to see a close up to try to guess, let me know and I'll take a couple of pictures.

Apart from the raised beds, I think this area here will be my next project. I don't recognize any of the plants under the tree, so I'm thinking about getting rid of them and maybe grow some succulents there instead. I think a rock border and lots of mulch would look cool and also make the tree happy, wouldn't you?

101_5713.JPG

Here's another view of the area from another side. You can see the huge grape vine on the fence in the background.

101_5715.JPG

Another project area. I'd like to have my perennial herbs there. Lots of sun all day:

101_5714.JPG

Here's a close-up:

101_5718.JPG

I believe there's already a pretty big rosemary, but since I'm a rookie I don't want to guess. Here's a picture of the plant I think it's a rosemary, and on the upper left corner you can see the leaves of an unknown tree. Can you tell what it is by the shape of its leaves?

101_5719.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The tree to the left of the rosemary is an oak. I won't venture a guess as to which type of oak since Texas has so many varieties.
That rosemary needs to be cut back by at least 1/3, perhaps 1/2. Early spring is the best time--mid-February to the first of March in your area.you can tell if it's rosemary be taking a few of the pine needle leaves off and crushing them. If you get a strong pine scent with an undertone of sweet, it is rosemary.
The grapevine is most likely muscadine which is great for jelly, and can be made into wine. Do any of these images look like your grapes leaves or fruit? https://www.google.com/search?q=mus...zKcevyATynoGoBQ&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1200&bih=609
Be careful about mulching too heavily around a tree. Trees generally like their feeder roots close to the top of the soil, and heavy mulching tends to choke out these roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, that's a rosemary. And the oak is a red oak. On the grape vine. There are 2 wild grapevines in this area and only one is worth anything, the muscadine. The other grapevine is called Mountain grape and it has very tiny fruits that not edible. Take a pic of the leaves and I can probably tell what it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
That rosemary needs to be cut back by at least 1/3, perhaps 1/2. Early spring is the best time--mid-February to the first of March in your area.you can tell if it's rosemary be taking a few of the pine needle leaves off and crushing them. If you get a strong pine scent with an undertone of sweet, it is rosemary.
I'll cut it back then. I'll probably wait until February to cut it. I'm glad you mentioned what the best time was or I would have done it this week :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you both. Here's a picture of the leaves.
Congrats. I am pretty sure it is a muscadine. My place is overrun with mountain grapes and I just compared leaves and they aren't the same. Now it looks as if you will spend the next 6 months cutting out all of the deadwood. Remember, grapes grow on new growth and muscadine wine is fantastic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like Yucca why doesn't anyone like it? Maybe because I don't have dogs running around?
The reason I don't like it is because it is so invasive and if your not careful dangerous. Break of the tip of one of its leaves in your leg and I doubt if you will like it much longer. Most yuccas are great, it's only this variety I have a problem with

Reaction score
I didn't realize it was invasive. I see it around here once in a while and have even moved some into my yard, but it doesn't seem to spread. I never knew some varieties were considered dangerous. . They call it the 'Ghost plant' around here and it's usually beautiful in bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't realize it was invasive. I see it around here once in a while and have even moved some into my yard, but it doesn't seem to spread. I never knew some varieties were considered dangerous. . They call it the 'Ghost plant' around here and it's usually beautiful in bloom.
I don't know the real name of this plant. It closely resembles a Spanish Dagger and it rarely blooms. It travels underground, sometimes quite a distance and pops up. From the juvenile plant it takes about 3 years for it to grow into the stiff leaved sharp tipped adult. You try to dig it up and the roots just go on forever.

Reaction score
It looks like you have such a big project in your hands, OP :) I liked the succulents idea, I think you should really give it a go! They're so easy to take care off, and they'd look much better than those weeds growing around!

Ask a Question