Fish tank water for watering plants

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I've been using my fish tank water to water my front lawn. Sound organic to me. It's not a complex hydroponic system, but I figure I give it a shot. what are your thoughts on my little organic fertilizing method?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been using my fish tank water to water my front lawn. Sound organic to me. It's not a complex hydroponic system, but I figure I give it a shot. what are your thoughts on my little organic fertilizing method?
You must have one hell of a big aquarium or a small yard. If it were me I would put the fish tank water into a 5 gallon bucket, put some good compost into an old sock, add a little molasses to the water and then aerate the water for 2 or 3 days with an aquarium pump and airstone. Then either pour or spray the mixture where ever............

Reaction score
A friend of mine used to have gold fish and she would use the water to water her indoor plants when she changed it. She never had to buy fertilizer for her plants, they were very happy with it.

Reaction score
I had goldfish before, they produce a lot ''fertilizer'' ;) Mine, i had never had fish that pooped so much and so often! I had to take some water from the tank every 3 days, those guys kept me very busy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I had no idea that fish tank water can be used as a fertilizer;) I must tell my boyfriend about it. He has a really big aquarium. Who knows, maybe he will be willing to experiment a little and use some of the water on his plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To be honest, I had no idea that fish tank water can be used as a fertilizer;) I must tell my boyfriend about it. He has a really big aquarium. Who knows, maybe he will be willing to experiment a little and use some of the water on his plants.
Fish tank water is an excellent light fertilizer as it has a lot of dissolved fish poop in it

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I have a 50 gallon tank with Golden Tilapia in them. They are ravenous eaters and dirty up the tank in days. So instead of throwing the water away I've been syphoning the water out to the front lawn and watering whatever I can with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a 50 gallon tank with Golden Tilapia in them. They are ravenous eaters and dirty up the tank in days. So instead of throwing the water away I've been syphoning the water out to the front lawn and watering whatever I can with it.
If you use that water as I stated above in aerated compost tea you will change 50 gallons of liquid fertilizer into at least 500. You can set the whole thing up for less than $40 including a 40lb bag of premier compost. It works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Fish tank water is an excellent light fertilizer as it has a lot of dissolved fish poop in it
Actually, my boyfriend doesn't keep any fish in his aquarium. He prefers shrimp:) Those little creatures are so funny! They love eating different kinds of leaves, so I think that the water they live in can be used as a fertilizer as well:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, my boyfriend doesn't keep any fish in his aquarium. He prefers shrimp:) Those little creatures are so funny! They love eating different kinds of leaves, so I think that the water they live in can be used as a fertilizer as well:)
I have heard of farm raised shrimp but aquarium raised shrimp I haven't. How big do they get and what do they taste like?

Reaction score
I have heard of farm raised shrimp but aquarium raised shrimp I haven't. How big do they get and what do they taste like?
Aquarium shrimp are friends ,not food. People who have this hobby buy them from pet catalogs or exotic fish shops and preciously raise them as pets.
That's why she mentioned their cute/funny behavior, not what they taste like. Aquarium owners like that the shrimp clean up the algae in the tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are plenty of people who use aquaponics so why not? I was actually thinking just recently that I needed to ask my mom if she was using the water from her aquarium in the garden.

I've been thinking of getting a gold fish to keep in a vase since you don't need a tank and pump and all that. I wouldn't want the fishy smell on my house plants (one reason I haven't yet tried fish emulsion), but aquarium water outdoors wouldn't be too bad. It's supposed to be really good for certain food plants.

One question though, @Josh Jones, do you not get a lot of stray animals visiting your lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We don't eat them:eek: My boyfriend keeps them as pets:) They're really cute and funny. Watching them is very relaxing.
Most of them are really small. I think they don't get bigger than three centimeters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Sounds like a great idea to use the fish tank water waste. I read somewhere that you have to be careful if you have used chemicals (salt, medication, chemicals such as pH down that goes against algae). Otherwise, I think I may give it a try with my outside plants and citrus trees. Great thought!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We don't eat them:eek: My boyfriend keeps them as pets:) They're really cute and funny. Watching them is very relaxing.
Most of them are really small. I think they don't get bigger than three centimeters.

Claudine, do you need a full-scale tank with a filter, etc., to keep the little shrimp? I remember seeing these ecospheres in a catalog once that were completely contained that were supposed to have the shrimp inside.

I read somewhere that you have to be careful if you have used chemicals...

That is why I like the idea of simply having a goldfish in a bowl. You don't use chemicals (that I know of) and you don't need a pump.

Ask a Question