Feral plants, redux. What's this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bed of these things at job; they're probably going to be dug up and trashed and they are pretty so I'd like to take some home. I've looked online and cannot identify. Right now they are in full sun and in crappy clay soil. The variegated leaves are connected to the the flowers. What are they? Do I want these?

Thanks!
20160525_130154.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not enough petals for Oenothera. It is the Variegated leaves which get me, otherwise i would have said something in the Poppy family. Cannot think of any variegated Poppy though. Or even Aneone japonica.
Are you certain that the foliage goes with the flowers? It looks very much more like Astrantia than anything else to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unless I had a severe senior moment the foliage goes with those flowers! (I'm going to feel really silly if I'm mistaken.) I'm on another job 50 miles away today but will be back there tomorrow.

I agree the flower looks poppy-ish but not the leaves? Ditto for it being primrose. Not that I am any sort of expert. Clearly. o_O

Esther, I have a nice sunny spot planned for them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Esther, yes they're in full sun now. It's a house that has sat empty for almost a year so clearly they're perennials and doing fine there. I've got a sunny area along the driveway fence already earmarked for them.

Owdboggy, I'm going back over this weekend to dig them up. I'll try getting better photos! I'm also making a trip to my favourite garden center; there are some plant geeks working there so maybe I'll get an ID on them. I will for sure post back if I do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The flowers and the variegated leaves are from two different plants.

The flowers are a white-flowered anemone, most likely Snowdrop Anemone (Anemonoides sylvestris). The flowers also bear a resemblance to Japanese Anemone (Eriocapitella x hybrida), but the branching arrangement would be different. Besides it would be very unlikely for Japanese Anemones to be blooming in May.

The leaves are those of Variegated Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris 'Variegata').

Ask a Question