Favorite bulb source?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am on the hunt for crocus sativus bulbs and I need a reliable source as I will be growing them for the saffron. I'm hoping to find a source that will ship sooner than later as I'd like to have them established before summer. I'm not necessarily interested in a starter kit (that's a lot of bulbs), but if that's the only way I can get them...

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not have any suggestions of where to get bulbs other than your local nursery, hope you find what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, all! Van Engelen doesn't appear to have them, @Esther Knapicius :( That, or they don't have them labeled. I searched the database, but didn't get any results using sativus or saffron. Hopefully one of the other two will have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ooops I think they were referring to colour?

I'm not sure what you mean, Lori. I found one place, overseas I think, but they don't ship until August. That gives me time to find something closer to home if I can. I just wish I could get them earlier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Oh, I had posted a link to a bulb that quoted Saffron, then realized they were probably talking about the colour? This was on Vesey's seeds and bulbs. Didn't want to give you a bum steer...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, I had posted a link to a bulb that quoted Saffron, then realized they were probably talking about the colour? This was on Vesey's seeds and bulbs. Didn't want to give you a bum steer...

That could be the case, but it's misleading and they should know better. I don't remember if it was the company you mentioned, Lori or Suttons that had them, but they don't ship until August, and I've been hoping to find a seller willing to ship sooner. I wish I knew a home gardener who had them, but so far no luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have ordered crocus bulbs from a catalog for a company called Michigan Bulb Company in the past. They normally have really good bulbs and lots of packages to choose from. Also, if you get some that do not come up, you can contact them and they will replace them for free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have ordered crocus bulbs from a catalog for a company called Michigan Bulb Company in the past. They normally have really good bulbs and lots of packages to choose from. Also, if you get some that do not come up, you can contact them and they will replace them for free.

Thanks, I'll look them up! I am still holding out hope that I will be able get some bulbs shipped to me before August. I can get plain old crocus bulbs from anywhere, but I want the ones that produce saffron. I am surprised more of the seed companies with heirloom and organic herb seed don't carry them.

Ask a Question