Fastest growing fruit

Reaction score
What is the fastest growing fruit? What will give a good yield even their first year planted? I know some fruit takes longer than others to grow ( several seasons to get a good yield) and want to hear everyones opinions on this.

Jed

Reaction score
What is the fastest growing fruit? What will give a good yield even their first year planted? I know some fruit takes longer than others to grow ( several seasons to get a good yield) and want to hear everyones opinions on this.
Small fruits are the fastest. Strawberries, raspberries and the rest. I gather you mean fruit trees? It depends on what area you are in??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I give all my fruit trees help by using fruit tree fertilizer spikes and get a pretty good amount of fruit on my fruit trees even though they are only a couple of years old .I put 2 or 3 around the feeding area of the tree and lime my yard as that sweetens the soil .

Reaction score
I bought my apple tree in costco. I think it cost £11 or something like that. It gave a good crop of apples the first year it was planted but disappointingly not the second year.

If you want something grown from scratch then strawberries can fruit quite quickly but they are difficult to get right.

Reaction score
Also it is amazing to me that when I first plant a tree I just can't wait until years go by so I can get fruit, or more shade or whatever. Then before you know it, 2 or 3 or 10 years have gone by and your trees are big! We put a house in an alfalfa field 11 years ago, now we have over 150 trees, koi pond, barn, greenhouse......some trees are huge and provide lots of shade.

Trust me, time goes by FAST!

Reaction score
If you do mean fruit trees, many citrus trees are already fruiting when you buy them as young trees. Bananas fruit in less than a year. Plums and peaches are pretty fast growing too, like 2-3 years, but that's pretty fast for stone fruit.

Your best bet would be to buy from a reputable nursery rather than starting from seeds or cuttings. That way it shaves off a year or two and you'll get fruit much sooner. It depends on the size tree you buy but generally it takes a year or two at least for stone fruits to get fruit.

If you're interested in exotic subtropical or tropical fruit, here is a list of fruits, and for some it tells how long they take to fruit: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/fruitproducts_ab.htm Climate does make a difference though - in a subtropical or tropical climate they will begin to fruit faster.

Reaction score
Usually, small fruits grow faster. But for long term I would choose apples, pears and cherries.I have these kind of trees and they provide shade and fruits and don't need a lot of care. Also they adapt very fast to the climate and soil.

Reaction score
I was not specifically thinking of small plants vs. trees. I love all the ideas though!

I think I will end up doing strawberries and then some fruit trees! I definitely am not going to attempt to start from scratch on the tress! That would take FOREVER! I am definitely going to check into what kind of fruits will grow well where I live (TN)

Reaction score
We are going to plant raspberries and blackberries. I was told that though these would be small plants and not entrely established, that if we plant them we can get a good yeild in just a year. I was told this by a man who was trying to sell me his plants so I guess we just need to take it at his word and hope for the best.

I have an apple tree that took 4 years to give off any fruit but that doesnt seem all that long when you are looking at the life of a tree. This year I got more then I could figure out what to do with. I still have three boxes waiting for me to process. Dehydrated apples are like candy so I am doing a lot of them.

Reaction score
I made apple juice, apple sauce and dehydrated apples but no cider. I have no idea how to make cider. I guess I really dont even know the difference between cider and juice. Is cider just juice with spices in it for added flavor?

Reaction score
No, cider is an alcoholic drink.

You press the apples to get all the juice out and then you add sugar and yeast and ferment it to make it alcoholic.

Don't you have cider where you come from? It is on tap in pubs here in the UK alongside beers etc.

Reaction score
The only cider I see is in gallon jugs in the grocery store, no alcohol involved, although I do know people who make stuff similar to what you are talking about but they don't call it cider.

Ask a Question