Excess Strawberries!

Reaction score
What do you do with your excess strawberries; have you ever think of making a strawberry and cream tart. It's a great dessert to have in the summer, it is very tasty and the kids are sure to love it. It's time to get creative with your produce!

Reaction score
Generally the excess are frozen for later use, I had a bumper crop this year and little loss to the birds or deer. Always nice to have them in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have any excess strawberries, because I always eat them very quickly:p If I had too many of them, I think I'd make a strawberry pie or a strawberry milkshake.

Reaction score
Apart from giving plenty away - I generally freeze my excess strawberries as not only are they great for tucking into during the winter months when fresh fruit is not so widely available - they are also great when made into strawberry smoothies.

Reaction score
I don't have any excess strawberries, because I always eat them very quickly:p If I had too many of them, I think I'd make a strawberry pie or a strawberry milkshake.

Claudine strawberry milkshake is also good however i think you could try out the strawberry tart and tell me if it's to your liking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine strawberry milkshake is also good however i think you could try out the strawberry tart and tell me if it's to your liking.
The strawberry tart sounds absolutely yummy. I will try it out as soon as I get more strawberries. Do you have a recipe for it? I hope it's not very complicated, I've never been good at cooking and baking things;)

Reaction score
The strawberry tart sounds absolutely yummy. I will try it out as soon as I get more strawberries. Do you have a recipe for it? I hope it's not very complicated, I've never been good at cooking and baking things;)[/QUOTE

Just ind this recipe on the net, it's very straight forward:

Ingredients
For the Crust:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cold whole milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
For the Filling:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
1 1/4 cups cold light cream
1 quart strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions
Make the crust: Whisk the vegetable oil, egg yolk, milk and vinegar in a bowl. Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor to combine; add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Add the milk mixture and pulse once or twice, just to moisten the flour.

Transfer the dough to a 9-inch-round tart pan with a removable bottom and pat onto the bottom and up the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes. Trim the edges, if necessary.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pierce the dough all over with a fork. Line with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights; continue to bake until golden, 10 to 15 more minutes. Beat the whole egg with 1 teaspoon water, then lightly brush over the crust and bake 5 more minutes. Cool completely on a rack.

Meanwhile, make the filling: Sprinkle the gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water in a bowl and let soften 5 minutes. Put the granulated sugar and vanilla seeds in a saucepan and rub the seeds into the sugar with your fingers. Add 1 cup cream and whisk over medium heat to dissolve the sugar. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatin mixture. Transfer to a bowl, then set in a larger bowl of ice water and stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the remaining 1/4 cup cream and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Pour into the tart shell and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.

Before serving, top the tart with the strawberries and confectioners' sugar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this recipe. I must say it seems quite complicated to me, but I'll try to encourage my boyfriend to make me a strawberry tart:D
Do you know if I can substitute the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour? I'm on a gluten-free diet.

Reaction score
I usually make jam and strawberry ice cream with my crop. For the last two years my strawberries have been excellent, especially this year. So, as well as jam and ice cream, I've frozen some, and put the rest in my dehydrator. Once dried I keep them in a glass jar and reconstitute them in a little orange juice, and add them to my homemade yogurt. You could also add the dried ones to a homemade granola or muesli.

So many lovely things to do with strawberries, but most of them do get eaten up rather quickly! I might have a go at strawberry tart sometime. Sounds delicious!

Reaction score
I never have any left over strawberries! I eat them too quickly and too often. I wish I would have some left over so I could freeze them. I can't ever pass up a fresh strawberry. Yummy!

Reaction score
I would also turn these excess strawberries into jams. If the yield is too many for family consumption in the next few months, then I would sell them to friends, county fairs, or online. I may also give them away as food gifts. The challenge is to find lots of mason jars for these jams.

Reaction score
I like to cut up my strawberries and add sugar then put them in the fridge. After that they form there own sweet syrup so then you have sweet strawberries and sweet syrup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like to cut up my strawberries and add sugar then put them in the fridge. After that they form there own sweet syrup so then you have sweet strawberries and sweet syrup.
This is such a simple and nice recipe, I'll give it a try. Thank you for inspiration:) How long does it take for strawberries to form the sweet syrup?

Reaction score
This is such a simple and nice recipe, I'll give it a try. Thank you for inspiration:) How long does it take for strawberries to form the sweet syrup?
It usually does not take that long probably around a day each day makes more syrup.

Reaction score
If I had excess strawberries I'd just probably preserve some, make jelly with them or make a tasty strawberry pie! That's what I'd do; a strawberry pie made with organic ones is great.

Ask a Question