Epsom salt on veggies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I met a lady the other day and she suggested I put Epsom salt on my vegetables. Has anyone heard of this? I was just wandering if it really makes the healthy delicious plants she spoke of?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I met a lady the other day and she suggested I put Epsom salt on my vegetables. Has anyone heard of this? I was just wandering if it really makes the healthy delicious plants she spoke of?
Yes, Epsom salts has benefits for vegetable plants. Sprinkle a big handful around the base of your plants, especially tomatoes and peppers

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the epsom salt is either put into the fertilizer or around the plant itself. I have never heard of this, but if it's true, I'm going to have to try it. I've heard all sorts of random gardening methods, but epsom salt has never really come up in conversation. What does the epsom salt do for the plant, exactly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm assuming that the epsom salt is either put into the fertilizer or around the plant itself. I have never heard of this, but if it's true, I'm going to have to try it. I've heard all sorts of random gardening methods, but epsom salt has never really come up in conversation. What does the epsom salt do for the plant, exactly?
It is put around the base of the plant out to the drip edge either by sprinkling it by hand or by dissolving it and pouring it around the plant. Depending on you soil makeup what it normally does is allow the plant to uptake the calcium in the soil that is unavailable to the plant on its on. ES is NOT a fertilizer. In alkaline soils such as I have it will completely stop blossom end rot on numerous vegetables which is why I use it. Others who have acidic soils use it for different reasons. Maybe one of them will explain what it does for them

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Oh yes, Epsom salts are very good on veggies. They are rich in magnesium which is an essential element in the synthesis of chlorophyll in plants. It is applied both as a foliar or as a drench. Broad leafed veggies which Epsom salts have been applied have a lush green colour and grow luxuriously.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have an 8lb bag of Epsom salts, and the front of the bag states:

"Multi-Purpose...
Saline Laxative ...
Soaking Aid ...
Plant food (for bigger, more vigorous plants.) "

** So I read the bag, to see what wisdom it had. :whistle:
No real explanation how it works or what it does, (other than bigger and vigorous,) but this is what it says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Plant food supplement :
For use as fertilizer, apply at the following rates:

LAWNS : 1/2 lb per 1000 sq ft of lawn.

For use as a plant food supplement, apply at the following rates:

TOMATOES, ROSES : One teaspoon per foot plant height every two weeks.

EVERGREENS, AZALEAS, RHODODENDRONS : One tablespoon per 9 sq ft over the root zone every two to four weeks.

GARDEN PLANTS AND SHRUBBERY : Sprinkle two tablespoons around the base of each plant.

TREES : Two tablespoons per 9 sq ft over root zone once every four months.

GARDEN STARTUP : Sprinkle approximately one cup per 100 sq ft and mix into soil prior to planting.

HOUSEPLANTS : Mix one teaspoon per gallon of water and feed to plants every one to four weeks.

For quicker results water plants after applying this product.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can't find a list of ingredients, all I've got is "Active ingredient: Magnesium sulfate." And then there is "Guaranteed analysis: 9.8% Soluble Magnesium, 12.9% Combined Sulfur."

The only veggie I see listed is tomatoes, unless the others are all lumped in with "Garden plants and Shrubbery." But then, I've never used it on anything... so that's about where my knowledge on the subject ends! :LOL:

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Epsom salt is not really salt, it's magnesium, so yes, it does benefit plants. I usually put it on my clematis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am going to use Epsom Salt in my containers today and some on the other plants! Sounds good!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the information. I had forgotten that Epsom Salt has magnesium in it. My tomatoes and bell peppers could use a pick me up!

Ask a Question