Eggplant Buds Withering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
We've had a run of hot dry weather here lately, and I'm wondering whether this is causing an issue with my eggplants.
The plants grew and flowered beautifully, but over the last week or so I've noticed that all the blooms have been slowly withering and dropping off without growing any vegetables.
We've been keeping the vegetable gardens watered regularly and although it's been a dry summer, none of my other veggies seem to have been affected the same way so I'm not quite sure what the cause is.
Have you ever had this happen? What can I do to resolve it?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Most likely they are withering from the hot weather. That happened to me too when I noticed my tomatoes were starting to droop unlike other veggies I have in my garden. Only to discover I had planted a type that is easily affected by cold weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We've had a run of hot dry weather here lately, and I'm wondering whether this is causing an issue with my eggplants.
The plants grew and flowered beautifully, but over the last week or so I've noticed that all the blooms have been slowly withering and dropping off without growing any vegetables.
We've been keeping the vegetable gardens watered regularly and although it's been a dry summer, none of my other veggies seem to have been affected the same way so I'm not quite sure what the cause is.
Have you ever had this happen? What can I do to resolve it?
It is probably the temperature affecting the pollination of the flowers. Eggplant are self pollinators and if the temp isn't right the blooms will drop. You can hand pollinate easily. Just google hand pollinating eggplants and there are all kinds of videos showing you how

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I've never heard of hand pollinating!
Thank you so much for the advice, I'll definitely check that out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Fannying around with Q-Tips (cotton buds) and paintbrushes...what a load of tosh!
Those folk in the videos haven't a clue.
Eggplants, like their solanum cousins, bell-peppers, chillies and tomatoes, have perfect flowers, which contain everything needed to set fruit.
All their flowers need is enough movement to dislodge some of the pollen, and that's it.
If they are outside, then even a gentle breeze is enough, but if they're under cover, then take a stick or bamboo cane, and rap the supporting cane/cane with it, so that you can see the flowers shake.
That is enough.
Your problem is heat and only heat.
I've had 40 aubergines this year from 9 plants, all of which are still going strong, in a crap summer, and I've not had a paintbrush in my hand yet.

Ask a Question