Easiest veggies for a beginner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've allocated a spot in my garden for veggie growing, I know I'm a bit late for planting seeds now but I'm going to give it a go anyway, are there any veggies that might make it if I plant them now? Also this is my first go at doing veg so are there any recommendations for a beginner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmmm, I would recommend not planting from seed if you can avoid it. I have never had any luck with those. Is there any way you can get some plants that have already been started? That way you can get some healthy plants that already have a good start. I am not sure about your area, but tomatoes always grow great here. It looks like you might be UK though...so not sure how they would work there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You can still sow peas.
The traditional date for sowing beans in the UK is 1st June.
Autumn cabbage, cauli and broc can be sown now.
Cucumbers and bush tomatoes will just make it if you sow them now. Grow your own salad as you can sow spring onions and lettuce to go with them.
Beetroot, carrots, and swedes can all be sown now.
You can still get a good crop of courgettes sowing now, and can plant blight-resistant potatoes for a late crop.
Winter brassicas tend to start being sown now too, like sprouting broccoli for next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Growing anything is easy once you've learned how. Make a list of things you like to eat, read up on which grow best in your climate and then start planning based on the season. If it gets very hot where you are in summer you may want to wait until August or September. Growing food plants from plugs is a lot easier than trying to start them from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure what it's like in your part of the UK but I do agree with @ChanellG - planting already-started plants is definitely easier this time of year! Probably too late from seed for true sun and heatloving veggies like tomatoes, squash and peppers though they can be started from transplants now I imagine.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
During spring and rainy season, okra is the easiest vegetable to grow. Soak the seeds in water for 5-6 hours, pack the soaked seeds on piece of cloths and plant these seeds the next day. In few days, you will see tiny sprout. You just need to keep the soil damp and no other attention is needed for okra.
Another easy crop is spinach which you are grow through out the year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to grow things in my greenhouses. I don't generally follow the typical "plant this time of year" schedule, although it has shown a difference when it comes time to harvest. I find that green beans are the quickest and easiest thing to grow.I start out all of my seeds on a damn paper towel in a miniature greenhouse. Once I see a structured root system, I plop them in a small pot and keep them in the same place that they sprouted. Seems to be working well so far. My green beans took 3 days and on day 4 they literally grew 2 inches taller in a matter of 8 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I think you ought to go for what would be the funniest veggie to grow for the first time gardener. And I would say, a couple interesting tomato plants. and if you can get a pumpkin plant already started that would be fun to watch it trail everywhere. Also popcorn plant, then you can have a movie night with it.

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I've allocated a spot in my garden for veggie growing, I know I'm a bit late for planting seeds now but I'm going to give it a go anyway, are there any veggies that might make it if I plant them now? Also this is my first go at doing veg so are there any recommendations for a beginner?
I also have had very good luck as a beginner with sugar snap peas. They work best if you plant them from seeds where you want them to stay and provide a wire cage or trellis because they do grow very tall. I also found Scarlet Nantes carrots quite easy to grow. You can plant those in any deep container or even in a burlap sack. As mentioned by others, beans are super easy to grow as well. You can start with seeds or just buy seedling plants super cheap. Happy growing!

Ask a Question