Drying tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
My tomato plants haven't started baring fruit yet, it was a very long and wet winter but I am already planing the harvest. The type of tomato plants that I have are the ones that they will all ripen at once and I am thinking of drying some of them out. Has anyone tried to dry them out and what care should I take?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I was a kid and we lived somewhere hot my mom just put tomatoes (and sliced apples) on the roof to dry in the sun. Probably not the best way though... :)

I've dried them in the oven. Slice, (remove seeds and skins first optional) and dry them at about 150 overnight. Then lightly coat with olive oil (not much), add fresh herbs if you want, then freeze in ziplock baggies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We sun-dry tomatoes. For Romas we cut them in half lengthwise, dip in vinegar, and lay them not touching one another on a screen, and put another screen over them. For larger tomatoes we cut thick (1/4-3/8") slices, dip those in vinegar and dry on the screen. Without the vinegar, they tend to mold. If there's a chance of rain we trot the dryer into the barn
After they are dry and leathery, we either freeze them in zipper bags or pack them in jars and cover with extra-virgin olive oil. After you eat the oil-covered tomatoes the tomato infused oil is delicious, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another option for storing tomatoes that is dead easy is freezing them. Either cook them down to a sauce and freeze, or even easier: freeze them whole. When you go to use them the skin slides right off.

@marlingardener, so birds and bugs aren't attracted to the drying fruit? I'm guessing the vinegar would be a deterrent too?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
dried tomato prep.jpg
drying tomatoes frame.jpg
Beth, the screen cover deters bugs and birds. I think the smell of vinegar, although after a few hours undetectable to our human noses, may be a deterrent, also.
I agree that freezing tomatoes is a great idea if you have the freezer space. I wash the tomatoes, core them, and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When they are hard little red tennis balls :p I put them in a gallon freezer bag and pull them out when needed. You are right--the skin slips right off, just as if they had been blanched.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
We sun-dry tomatoes. For Romas we cut them in half lengthwise, dip in vinegar, and lay them not touching one another on a screen, and put another screen over them. For larger tomatoes we cut thick (1/4-3/8") slices, dip those in vinegar and dry on the screen. Without the vinegar, they tend to mold. If there's a chance of rain we trot the dryer into the barn
After they are dry and leathery, we either freeze them in zipper bags or pack them in jars and cover with extra-virgin olive oil. After you eat the oil-covered tomatoes the tomato infused oil is delicious, too!
Could you tell me please? Can the jars be in the worm room? or only in the fridge? for 3 - 4 months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Elena, it is safest to keep the jars in the fridge. I use 1/2 pint jars, and simply stack them in a plastic container, one on top of another, then in the fridge they go. The container makes it easier to shift them around and keeps them from toppling over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
There are a lot of new things for me here. I study a pint and acres instead of meters and liters.(n)
Thanks. I am going to do this. I'm waiting for the harvest of tomatoes in August.
The yellow tomatoes in your picture are called "Нoney drop" in Russia.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My excess tomatoes are made into pure tomato juice. I do enjoy dried tomatoes as a treat periodically.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%202015/16%20August%202015%20Pure%20Tomato%20Juice/HTML/ 16 August 2015 Pure Tomato Juice.
Twenty nine pounds of tomatoes picked today was made into 14 liters of juice, storwd in liter jars. The tomatoes were cooked in one pot with one titer of water added to facilitate cooking. The jars were pressure canned in batches of seven for long term storage at room temperature. Pressure canned was 15 PSI for 15 minutes.
dsc_629816%20august%202015%20tomatoes_std.jpg

Reaction score
My tomato plants haven't started baring fruit yet, it was a very long and wet winter but I am already planing the harvest. The type of tomato plants that I have are the ones that they will all ripen at once and I am thinking of drying some of them out. Has anyone tried to dry them out and what care should I take?

Reaction score
Hi SirJoe

Over a year ago I purchased an Excalibur 9 shelf dehydrator ---- one of the best purchases of my life. I dehydrate jerky for gifts and fruits and veggies for us and to gift. Most importantly --- no garden veggies ever go to waste now. Usually after canning tomatoes and eating them all of August I get sort of tired of the routine and many go to waste. Not now, now a single tomato.

I slice and dehydrate them, both standard size and grape tomatoes. Some I will sprinkle with salt, or lemon pepper or a non-salt mix I make, People who like stewed tomatoes go crazy for these. And I make a tomato roll-up. I just clean them, core them and simmer until thickened. Then I run through a food mill and pour the applesauce consistency tomato puree on my silicone sheets and pop them in the dehydrator. My daughter who works many hours and dislikes cooking ---- will grab a bag and at least get a nutritious snack on the run. Sometimes I don't even run the mixture through the dehydrator. Most people don't mind that the seeds are still in the veggie roll ups. Sometimes I add green pepper and onion to the mix.

With the green pepper, onion and tomato mix, I can make a roll up that can be re-hydrated and added to soups, chili, spaghetti sauces etc.as well as eaten for a snack. It's all good!

Most veggies will not re-hydrate well enough to pass as fresh, but are great for cooking.

I've done apples, bananas, pears, pineapple and peaches, oranges, lemons, limes Home made is so much better than the sugar coated dehydrated fruits that are sold commercially. And I always have lemon zest on hand.

Of course I shop for sales and when I can get lemons or limes at a good price, I slice them up and dehydrate them. When I serve iced water in a pitcher to guests, I always throw in a few slices of lemon or lime. You'll get a nicely flavored water over the course of a few hours. If you place the slices in water for a long period --- say 8-12 hours, you'll likely have limeade or lemonade by then. The longer you leave them in the water, the more intense the flavor.

I've also done mushrooms, peas, lima beans, celery, green pepper, onion, carrots. Broccoli is great --- whip up a broccoli cheese soup in middle of winter.

Seriously, if you can afford the dehydrator ----- a single veggie need never go to waste. All of our friends/family that are nutrition conscious love to drop by and get a baggie of goodies to take with them..

No, I don't work for Excalibur, but I've got to say that I LOVE mine. It has enabled me to economically keep veggies on hand that I may not ordinarily have and I get them on sale at the store or straight from our garden. Mostly I wanted to be able to use every piece of produce that we grow. And dehydrating is the ticket if you want to save space. It is less labor intensive than canning and takes up so little space comparatively. I'll be I got 20+ carrots in one 1-qt mason jar. I place dehydrated veggies in jar, throw in an oxygen absorber, seal with my Food Saver vacuum sealer and it will keep for a very long time. I just gave a friend some of the tomato slices that I dehydrated last summer. They looked the way they did when I placed them in the mason jar a year ago!

There is a ton of info on the internet as well as many good books on the subject. You can even dehydrate meals like chili :) I have a book specifically for dehydrating foods to take hiking/camping.

The possibilities with a good dehydrator are almost endless.

But BE SURE to buy a dehydrator with a fan.

Reaction score

Reaction score
OOPS -- error in my post

"Sometimes I don't even run the mixture through the dehydrator."

I meant to say that sometimes I don't even run the roll-up puree through the FOOD MILL.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Thank you all for your feed back, normally when the tomatoes are ready to pick there isn't a lot of rain and lots of sun. So sun drying does look like a very good option. I do freeze the excess tomatoes that I pick but the only way you can have them is in sauces. I was hoping to be able to have them in a different way. I do have a juicer but never made tomato juice before. I have had it before and really enjoyed I will have to remove the seeds in order to make it because my juicer doesn't handle seeds very well.
The Excalibur 9 shelf dehydrator does sound like something I need for another project I'm thinking of making. I have been thinking of making my own fruit paper and I think it will be able to do exactly that.
Thank you all for your responses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There are a lot of new things for me here. I study a pint and acres instead of meters and liters.(n)
Thanks. I am going to do this. I'm waiting for the harvest of tomatoes in August.
The yellow tomatoes in your picture are called "Нoney drop" in Russia.

A US pint is approx. 1/2 litre.

Ask a Question