Dragon fruit tree!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I was at a party, and I saw some dragon fruit trees LOADED with seeds. I actually never tried a dragon fruit until tonight. Being the gardener I am, I saved a piece and will plant it tomorrow.

I read about them and I see that they need support to hold them up. Do you have any ideas on something very sturdy?

Also, any experience on dragon fruit trees? I live in a very tropical place which I read is perfect for them.

Anything I should know about these exotic fruits with their cactus? I know their flowers open for one night only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can use a 4x4 post to support them, they will climb up the post, I don't know to much about them, the one I had was growing in a very large pot it did bloom but never got any fruit from it because the growing season here is too short for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am wondering what that seeds you mean. The planting material for dragon fruit is the cutting. By cutting an old branch (if that is called branch, I really don't know) and planting it on the soil. I will develop roots in a month's time and after another month there will sprout a new bud for a branch. As for the trellis or support, we had experimented on a 4-foot wood for the post and an old motorcycle tire for the crown. Here is the pic of our dragon fruit -
IMG_1100 dragon fruit.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, Corzhens, your dragon fruit looks wonderful! And I think that using the old motorcycle tire is a really great idea.
I wish I could grow dragon fruit here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Awesome! The seeds all inside the fruit can be planted to grow the fruit. I planted a scoop of the fruit in the dirt. Hopefully it germinates.

Ask a Question