Don't Cut Out The Middle-Man

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So now we're into June, and down at the allotments, people are starting to look at my plot, and are asking my secrets.
I tell them there's no secret, and that it's down to a few ORGANIC techniques, which nourish the SOIL, which in turn, nourishes the plants.
I tell them about using seaweed and seaweed extract, about how it gives the soil all the micronutrients that you don't get in petro-gro, how it supplies the NATURAL growth hormones which are making my onions grow so well.
I tell them about the actively-aerated compost tea and how it causes the mushrooming of microbial life in the soil, changing its structure uniquely, and making available to my crops all the nutrients in the soil, giving a far bigger boost to my crops than petro-gro ever did.
I tell them about Epsom salts, how it helps the uptake of nutrients, whilst leaving nothing harmful in the soil.
I tell them about about Zigs' woodash, which SLOWLY releases potash, but in a form available to plants, so that it is as EFFECTIVE as a huge dose from petro-gro.
Chuck, I tell them about the benefits of molasses.
I tell them about the effectiveness of the soil as a "middle-man", which, if you treat it right, will feed your plants in a far more efficient, effective way, than I ever can.
I tell them, "DON'T CUT OUT THE MIDDLE-MAN!!!"
I think they are starting to listen, as those who were most open to trying them, swear to the benefits of those techniques.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So now we're into June, and down at the allotments, people are starting to look at my plot, and are asking my secrets.
I tell them there's no secret, and that it's down to a few ORGANIC techniques, which nourish the SOIL, which in turn, nourishes the plants.
I tell them about using seaweed and seaweed extract, about how it gives the soil all the micronutrients that you don't get in petro-gro, how it supplies the NATURAL growth hormones which are making my onions grow so well.
I tell them about the actively-aerated compost tea and how it causes the mushrooming of microbial life in the soil, changing its structure uniquely, and making available to my crops all the nutrients in the soil, giving a far bigger boost to my crops than petro-gro ever did.
I tell them about Epsom salts, how it helps the uptake of nutrients, whilst leaving nothing harmful in the soil.
I tell them about about Zigs' woodash, which SLOWLY releases potash, but in a form available to plants, so that it is as EFFECTIVE as a huge dose from petro-gro.
Chuck, I tell them about the benefits of molasses.
I tell them about the effectiveness of the soil as a "middle-man", which, if you treat it right, will feed your plants in a far more efficient, effective way, than I ever can.
I tell them, "DON'T CUT OUT THE MIDDLE-MApl
It is difficult to change a generations old mindset. When folks can actually see the difference between organic and chemical it seems to make them question their methods. Changing their beliefs is a whole different story. I don't know how many times I have heard " well my granddaddy and daddy did it this way and it worked for them" excuse.

Organics are becoming bigger and bigger over here with Texas leading the way, but with the amount of money the big chemical companies are spending on advertising and government officals it is like taking 3 steps forward and 2 back. I think that the only solutions are in forums such as this and in the radio talk shows on gardening where people can actually interact and see what organics really do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I here what you're saying, Chuck, but a number of people who have asked about my methods, I've said to them, "Do you want some seaweed extract for some of your cabbages/spuds/onions," and they're biting my hands off.

Three fellow allotmenteers are convinced about compost tea, since they've seen the difference in soil structure in my onion bed, and are eager to try some of my next batch.

As I said, I don't preach, I let them see the evidence and they come to me.

Reaction score
Preaching never works anyway so you are going about it the right way. Seeing your results is the best teacher and waiting for them to ask you about it is the way to affect change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, the bloke with the plot opposite me, a really nice elderly bloke named Arthur, asked me for some of my latest batch of compost tea for his onions, and Joe, our site chairman has asked about my techniques!

I've not been there six months yet.
I'm telling you, these guys see EVRYTHING!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesterday, the bloke with the plot opposite me, a really nice elderly bloke named Arthur, asked me for some of my latest batch of compost tea for his onions, and Joe, our site chairman has asked about my techniques!

I've not been there six months yet.
I'm telling you, these guys see EVRYTHING!
Outstanding! I wished we had something like your allotment system over here so folks could actually see with their own eyes the difference organics make. Maybe things will change here when people can't afford to buy fresh vegetables anymore and they will be forced to grow their own. The way things are headed it might happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My curcubits, zucchini (courgette), pumpkin and cucumber plants have all mushroomed to three times the size of anyone else's, and all have fruit on them, before any others.

I'm telling you Chuck, there's a lot of headscratching going on, and it's down to seaweed, it's down to woodash, it's down to actively aerated compost tea, and it's down to your molasses.
Either these growers are seriously questioning their methods, or there's been an outbreak of nits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My curcubits, zucchini (courgette), pumpkin and cucumber plants have all mushroomed to three times the size of anyone else's, and all have fruit on them, before any others.

I'm telling you Chuck, there's a lot of headscratching going on, and it's down to seaweed, it's down to woodash, it's down to actively aerated compost tea, and it's down to your molasses.
Either these growers are seriously questioning their methods, or there's been an outbreak of nits.
Maybe they will see the light. Meanwhile when talking to them, remember it is not nice to say I told you so;)............but it sure is fun:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All the chemicals I see in gardening stores make me sick. If you have to put gloves on to use the stuff, should you really be consuming the plants that have been exposed. Thank you for sharing your natural tips and ingredients, I am really interested in the seaweed extract!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So, the main harvest is just about done, and how have things gone?

From having earlier & better peas and broad beans in mMay, masses of courgettes, and then 8-12lb marrows on the plants, and now back to courgettes, to potatoes which were the envy of those close to me, and being asked for individual tomatoes, because the growers want the seeds for next year, so big and tasty do they look, and a lovely big crop of strong, tasty onions.

Cucumbers, flippin' cucumbers, I've been getting 10 a week for months now, and it's almost becoming embarrassing.

Many people's pumpkins have failed, but I have eight nice 10-14 pounders, because we've had a very dry year, and I grew my pumpkins bushy, (which means they self-mulch) put seaweed into their mound, and fed every three weeks with actively aerated compost tea, which made them more drought tolerant.

Similarly my sprouts, which are the size of ping-pong balls, have many of my allotmenteers scratching their heads.

Transplanting BEETROOT thinnings, which they all said couldn't be done, but, with the extra fertility of the soil after the compost tea, I am now harvesting.

And each time they ask, I tell them about the methods discussed in this forum, and there are now 9 people who are going to give our methods a go next year.

A picture really does paint a thousand words.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Outstanding, and just great that your allotmenteers are turning green with envy. Maybe you should erect a sign in your garden saying "I TOLD YOU SO".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The thing about allotmenteers seems to be that there is an element of competition between them, but the "showing off" is restricted to friends and family, who don't know, and probably don't really care about the methods used, as long as the crops can be shown to be healthy and have great flavour, at a good price.

In such circumstances, there is no motivation to ignore methods which cheaply deliver up great tasting, nutricious food and lots of it.
For example, Arthur across from me, in an act of almost obsequious flattery, was removing lower leaves from his sprouts plants.
He had said that he didn't bother removing them, and when I asked him why he had changed his mind, he said,
"I've been watching this bloke growing stuff, and his stuff grows great, so I'm doing the same."
I gave Arthur some of my sprouts plants, and fed them on my regime. Those plants are twice the size of those he grew himself.
Arthur is 69.
Some of the techniques i have learned, or honed, on here.
The message IS getting through, but it's an organic process...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done Bees (y)

One of the first garden things I remember doing was transplanting some beetroot thinnings my neighbour gave me, worked fine :)

I'm just sorting my tomato crop, some plants have got the blight, so i'm drying as much as I can.

Ask a Question