Does anyone use Bat poo to fertilize?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
There is a company here called Guanomad that advertises organic gardening by using Bat poo. I mean, that is not the technical way it is advertised, but its in a different language so that is how I am translating it. The other type of fertilizer people use here often has the risk of giving your food something that makes people sick. The thought is, Bats feed on fruit and are healthier, therefore, their poo must be healthier for our food. What's your opinion on this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is a company here called Guanomad that advertises organic gardening by using Bat poo. I mean, that is not the technical way it is advertised, but its in a different language so that is how I am translating it. The other type of fertilizer people use here often has the risk of giving your food something that makes people sick. The thought is, Bats feed on fruit and are healthier, therefore, their poo must be healthier for our food. What's your opinion on this?
Actually when you are using bat poo you aren't really using bat poo. You are using beetle poo. There are two types of beetles that live where the bats do. The Guano Beetle and the Dermestid Beetle. The Guano beetle eats the poo and recycles it and the Dermestid Beetle eats the dead bats and any other animals who happen to die in the bat cave. One should be careful of using bat guano in 3rd world countries. You can contract a very nasty disease named Histoplasmosis. Guano should be tested before being mined and sold to the public.
As far as bat poop being healthier because of what they eat I guess that would depend on whether insects are more healthy to eat than fruit because different types of bats eat either insects or fruit or blood for that mater

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

I understand that it is rich in nutrients. For those individuals who prefers the organic style of adding nutrients to plants they may consider using this. It is important to note though that most of these refuse is best decomposed in a compost or otherwise before adding to plants. They may be very high in ammonia and burn up the plants in the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Actually when you are using bat poo you aren't really using bat poo. You are using beetle poo. There are two types of beetles that live where the bats do. The Guano Beetle and the Dermestid Beetle. The Guano beetle eats the poo and recycles it and the Dermestid Beetle eats the dead bats and any other animals who happen to die in the bat cave. One should be careful of using bat guano in 3rd world countries. You can contract a very nasty disease named Histoplasmosis. Guano should be tested before being mined and sold to the public.
As far as bat poop being healthier because of what they eat I guess that would depend on whether insects are more healthy to eat than fruit because different types of bats eat either insects or fruit or blood for that mater

Thanks! That is a really good explanation of what it is. It is good to know some of the risks involved as well. Bats always resembled rodents with wings to me so I was thinking there might some caution needed. Although insects aren't necessarily dangerous. The cow manure in this area is safe, but many farmers use pig manure and it has certain health risks which are causing farmers to look into the Guano manure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At my local place for gardening supplies it is $12 for 3 pounds. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't use much of it because I only use it when a plant seems to be lacking in Nitrogen
Now that I think of it I am not sure if that is in a normal price range or not either. We use our own chicken poo compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Now that I think of it I am not sure if that is in a normal price range or not either. We use our own chicken poo compost.

Do you compost food along with the chicken poo, or is it just on its own? I have been starting to compost food like egg shells into my plants dirt and I was wondering if this was similar to what your compost is like.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
You should know what your soil needs. Guano is rich in phosphate and is primarily placed in soil for that reason. It pays to be cautious with regards to the application of guano because too much phosphate can lead to eutrophication. This will kill off your garden's ecosystem in the end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
You should know what your soil needs. Guano is rich in phosphate and is primarily placed in soil for that reason. It pays to be cautious with regards to the application of guano because too much phosphate can lead to eutrophication. This will kill off your garden's ecosystem in the end.
Would you suggest a person research what type of soil their plant needs in order to know if it requires Guano? I'm not sure how to even tell what type of soil I have.

Ask a Question