Do you have pets? Anyone else have a guinea pig?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know that dogs and cats are the most usual pets but we live in a small home so a few years ago when we were looking to add a pet to our family, we choose guinea pigs. We started with 3 but are now down to 1. Sadly, 2 have died over the years. Anyone else have guinea pigs?

When we originally got the piggies, the intention was for them to be a pet for our kids but I admit I immediately fell in love with them! I even surprised myself because I didn't think they were all that cute when we went to pick them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had one as a kid but I couldn't stand the little bugger. He bit me and I disliked him ever since. I now have 7 dogs and 2 cats, we have been thinking about adding a snake to our home, but can't decide which one we want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are owned by a cat, Feliz. She's a calico, and loving and cute and almost more than we can handle! We've had large dogs in the past that we dearly loved, but dogs have owners, cats have staff!
Feliz Chair 3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yes. I used to have four guinea pigs. 2 females, 2 males. I didn't bought them all at the same time. I tamed the first guinea pig I bought before I bought the others. I named them Zee, Snowy, Yani and Katniss. Zee was the very first guinea pig I bought, he was very scared and I constantly bribe him with grapes. I found out it is his favorite treat and bell peppers. They all have different personalities. I have to sell them to a responsible owner after few months having them due to my job. I can't watch them like I use to anymore. It broke my heart but I want the best for them. I barely have free time because I still have to travel and when I come home, I'm super tired so I decided to find them a new family.
936255_649173158431742_1959786656_n.jpg 960260_649168305098894_861565061_n.jpg 431805_649169311765460_1349184534_n.jpg 2013-08-08 21.17.14.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had one as a kid but I couldn't stand the little bugger. He bit me and I disliked him ever since. I now have 7 dogs and 2 cats, we have been thinking about adding a snake to our home, but can't decide which one we want.

Good luck with the snake :) I have to be honest, this is the one pet I am not interested in. My kids have asked many times!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. I used to have four guinea pigs. 2 females, 2 males. I didn't bought them all at the same time. I tamed the first guinea pig I bought before I bought the others. I named them Zee, Snowy, Yani and Katniss. Zee was the very first guinea pig I bought, he was very scared and I constantly bribe him with grapes. I found out it is his favorite treat and bell peppers. They all have different personalities. I have to sell them to a responsible owner after few months having them due to my job. I can't watch them like I use to anymore. It broke my heart but I want the best for them. I barely have free time because I still have to travel and when I come home, I'm super tired so I decided to find them a new family.
View attachment 3824 View attachment 3825 View attachment 3826 View attachment 3827

Awww, what adorable pictures! Our piggie likes grapes as well but her favorite thing has always been lettuce. She also enjoys munching on apples and carrots.

I am sorry you had to part with them. That's rough but yes, they do require a lot more time and attention than I think people realize at first.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Awww, what adorable pictures! Our piggie likes grapes as well but her favorite thing has always been lettuce. She also enjoys munching on apples and carrots.

I am sorry you had to part with them. That's rough but yes, they do require a lot more time and attention than I think people realize at first.

Thank you for your sympathy. It is one of the hardest thing I did but I know it is the best for them, I still miss them very much even up to this time. It's been almost a year we parted, I remember it was December. Their new owner contacted me and told me they are well. Yani had 3 pups. I honestly thought they are more manageable than dogs and require less time but I was wrong :D They do require lots of time, care and love. They get sad too when not given enough attention and requires lots of exercise. By the way I hope the lettuce you're referirng to is not iceberg lettuce, it is dangerous for them because it is high in calcium and I read lettuces bloats them. About the grape, my bestfriend told me to just give half of it, actually any fruit should be given sparingly because of high sugar content.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had several, lovely things :)

You probably know this, but they are one of the few creatures like us that can't store Vitamin C. So they need it as regularly as we do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your sympathy. It is one of the hardest thing I did but I know it is the best for them, I still miss them very much even up to this time. It's been almost a year we parted, I remember it was December. Their new owner contacted me and told me they are well. Yani had 3 pups. I honestly thought they are more manageable than dogs and require less time but I was wrong :D They do require lots of time, care and love. They get sad too when not given enough attention and requires lots of exercise. By the way I hope the lettuce you're referirng to is not iceberg lettuce, it is dangerous for them because it is high in calcium and I read lettuces bloats them. About the grape, my bestfriend told me to just give half of it, actually any fruit should be given sparingly because of high sugar content.

I agree that they require far more attention than people realize and our's will get sad too without enough attention.

Definitely no iceberg lettuce here! She loves fruit though but I didn't give that much thought to sugar content though I will now. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had several, lovely things :)

You probably know this, but they are one of the few creatures like us that can't store Vitamin C. So they need it as regularly as we do.

I was aware of that and we had been feeding her food that specifically said it was formulated to provide Vitamin C. Well turns out it wasn't enough because we discovered a few months ago she was showing signs of scurvy so we started supplementing and that has helped out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I own a little puppy that is a Yorkie and Doxen mix. He is the cutest thing ever. I miss my cat Panther so much though! He is living with someone else right now. He is a black Bombay cat. I just miss him so much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pit bull/boxer and I love him so much. He an attention seeker so he loves you in his face. He thinks he is 30 pound dog that can sit on your lap when he is actually an 170 pound dog. When I was 20 I had a Guinea pig and she was pregnant and had 3 babies overnight while I slept. It was a crazy experience. I do not want small pets like that ever again. I was bitten so many times and I had to clean that cage on a daily basis. I will stick with my doggy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of pets here! Two cats, three rabbits, three guinea pigs, a hamster, a conure, a frog, three betta fish, and some guppies.

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Yes I have a dog back at home and her name is Little Gurl. She is an all white maltese mixed and she is 6 years old so she definitely has some age under her belt. lol She still acts like a big baby though since my mom spoils her as such. I've never had a guinea pig as a pet but I did have a gerbil when I was younger. Since I am allergic to cat dander I am not able to have a cat as a pet but I don't mind cats at all.

Ask a Question