DIY Greenhouse??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering to build my own green house. I'd been investigating and they are really expensive with the exceptions of a few kits that are available for a couple of hundreds. I watched a lot of YOUTUBE videos about making it yourself and it's really easy, with a few connectors and PVC pipe one can build a decent greenhouse.

So I'm planing to build one with one inch PVC pipe (about 5ft x 10ft). I choose the 10ft length because PVC pipes are sold in 10ft length. THe greenhouse plastic can be bought by rolls at any gardeners supplier. The cost of a greenhouse that size will be less than $200 if you do it yourself. Anyone here have done one?

By the way, I'm in zone 7.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I would love to have my own greenhouse but unfortunately, I just don't have enough space. A friend of mine put a DIY greenhouse in his backyard and it worked great. I wasn't around when he built it but he said it wasn't difficult at all. Best of luck to you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm in hopes of building one this year. I thought about going the PVC and plastic route also, but decided against it. I would like something a little more rigid, that can also be used as storage during the winter months. The plan is to build a 10' x 10' structure in a A-frame style, so it can shed the heavy snows more easily. Now lets see what the wallet has to say about my idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You might want to look into the greenhouse that harbour freight sells. For the price of the brackets, wood, and plastic you could purchase one of those and maybe beef it up a little.?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You might want to look into the greenhouse that harbour freight sells. For the price of the brackets, wood, and plastic you could purchase one of those and maybe beef it up a little.?
Thanks Lori, I have looked into those kits far and wide on the inter-tubes. My goal is more a custom look to fit into my landscape, with a few other functions that can't be gotten in a kit. Tools, knowledge, and gumption I have. Just need the lumber, and poly panels, and I'm set.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Lori, I have looked into those kits far and wide on the inter-tubes. My goal is more a custom look to fit into my landscape, with a few other functions that can't be gotten in a kit. Tools, knowledge, and gumption I have. Just need the lumber, and poly panels, and I'm set.

That's the right thing to do, I'm a fan of DIY projects I'm surprise there's not a section for DIY posting here. I'll build some tables with used "pallets", I get them for free and reclaimed the wood for projects. FREE is king, haha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKERY 5 November 2010 Greenhouse on Deck.

I decided to build a large greenhouse on the deck, which doesn’t get much use. The enclosure will be a sun room if appropriate, instead of the canvas structure that use to be there. I have a small 10,000 BTU heater that connects to the barbecue natural gas outlet, so will have some warmth, and will get some use during the Winter months. It took nine days to build by myself, about 72 hours of labor, from 28 of October to 5 November, and cost $1798.63.

Description of the construction. Six, 6 by 6 pillars support the structure. The auxiliary supports are all 2 by 6 spruce planks. Two doors were installed plus a window to ensure reasonably good ventilation. I got the doors free of charge. The slope of the roof is from 8 feet to 7 feet, with a pitch of 1 in 12. Sun is available for about two third of the structure all day. Wood was used to cover the walls where no Sun penetrates. Corrugated SUNTUF UV protected panels was used. It is relatively low cost compared to other coverings, and is almost indestructible. Pictures depict highlights of the method used. Plans were in my head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Very nice Durgan, and you can't build somethin without a little helper fer sure. (y)
How did you attach it to the patio blocks?
Oh I wanted to add how much I love the documentation of your project also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Very nice Durgan, and you can't build somethin without a little helper fer sure. (y)
How did you attach it to the patio blocks?

The attachment of the structure is to the deck meaning the supports are sitting on a two by six plank.Wind is a problem so a strong structure is required. Good ventilation is required, since the inside can get unbearably hot. Hence the two doors.

I have had three greenhouses over the years. Two built from scratch and one kit. The wind destroyed the kit. The greenhouse is only used to start from seed and to strengthen young plants before planting in the garden. I have a natural gas heater of 10K BTU to keep above freezing. This one has served me well. Not perfect but acceptable. I am in Zone 5.

Here is a few pictures of my first greenhouse.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?EXOGW 11 November 2000 Lexan Greenhouse
Dirt floor. Tried various heaters: propane, electric, and wood. Wood stove was the best. I liked this greenhouse but moved and left it behind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes I saw the 2 X 6 plate the 6 X 6's are attached to. What I thought I saw were patio blocks, but now see it is actually a wooden deck it is mounted to. Again, nice job.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I decided to build a large greenhouse on the deck, which doesn’t get much use. The enclosure will be a sun room if appropriate, instead of the canvas structure that use to be there. I have a small 10,000 BTU heater that connects to the barbecue natural gas outlet, so will have some warmth, and will get some use during the Winter months. It took nine days to build by myself, about 72 hours of labor, from 28 of October to 5 November, and cost $1798.63.

WOW that's really a sturdy greenhouse. I'm not looking for something like that but kinda temporary solution also I do not want to spend that amount of money. Yours its really a great greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a cool idea, but $110 for a bunch of plastic brackets seems a bit much. Plus it's only good on 2 x 2 framing. Way too flimsy for our area. I do like the concept tho.
Hi Licenter, check this out if you get a "Shed frame kit" which is sold at different construction material suppliers you can built a 7 ft.W x 8 ft.L using 2"x4". If you need a bigger one you need to buy additional kits.

No Angles to Cut! This Fast Framer Universal Storage Shed Framing Kit's unique galvanized steel angles and base plates make erecting a building fast and easy! Perfect for constructing a storage shed, tool shed, or mini-barn. Kit includes 24 steel angles, 12 base plates, material lists and plans for a 7 ft.W x 8 ft.L, an 8 ft.W x 14 ft.L, and a 10 ft.W x 22 ft.L building. Order TWO framing kits for an 8 ft.W x 14 ft.L building. Order THREE kits for a 10 ft.W x 22 ft.L building. Lumber and roofing materials not included. This item is NON-RETURNABLE due to agreement with the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have two greenhouses. One is the smallish rack type with vinyl cover (though I can't find the cover) and the other is about 5x5 made up of pipes and plastic joints. I've had it through two winters and it's a piece of crap that leans every which way and barely protects my plants. I am about to get another rack for seed starting and later I want to design something based on what my needs are at various times of the year.

Ask a Question