Dill and Container Gardening

Reaction score
I was was wondering if at all dill grows successfully in containers. I've read somewhere that this herb isn't particularly suited for this, and was wondering how true this is. If it doesn't grow too well in containers, I take it that it had something to do with dill having a relatively long taproot. I don't have any actual ground space to grow anything and I really like the flavor of dill, so I'm hoping that I can grow it in pots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was was wondering if at all dill grows successfully in containers. I've read somewhere that this herb isn't particularly suited for this, and was wondering how true this is. If it doesn't grow too well in containers, I take it that it had something to do with dill having a relatively long taproot. I don't have any actual ground space to grow anything and I really like the flavor of dill, so I'm hoping that I can grow it in pots!
Dill will grow just fine in a good sized container. It likes cool weather and doesn't like the hot intense sunlight of summer. Should do OK in your location

Reaction score
Right on Chuck, dill is very durable especially if you give it the conditions that it wants. A leading cause of plants failing is that they are put in conditions that they don't like.

Reaction score
I actually have a fern dill that was transplanted from a grocery store herb pot. They have more of a fibrous root system and it is a good idea to give them enough room for the roots to spread out. You wouldn't think such a delicate plant would love the sun so much, but they sure do! Be sure to keep the clippings since you can still use those in cooking as well.

In my experience, they seem to love water and love to stay moist- so long as they aren't drenched. My dill seems to be doing splendid in a pot. =)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I actually have a fern dill that was transplanted from a grocery store herb pot. They have more of a fibrous root system and it is a good idea to give them enough room for the roots to spread out. You wouldn't think such a delicate plant would love the sun so much, but they sure do! Be sure to keep the clippings since you can still use those in cooking as well.

In my experience, they seem to love water and love to stay moist- so long as they aren't drenched. My dill seems to be doing splendid in a pot. =)
Dill like most herbs would rather live in some kind of pot. They are tender plants and there is a multitude of all kinds of bad guys that would love to gobble them up if they lived in the ground like most other garden vegetables

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Maybe that is what I need to do then ! I planted some dill this spring, and none of it even came up. I have extra containers, so will try starting some in a pot and see if they come up any better. I have never grown dill before, but I really like it, and want to have some fresh dill. One of my favorite breads is cottage-dill, which is made with cottage cheese and dill weed. I think it would be even better if I had some fresh dill to put in it.
I have some shadier areas where I can put the planter if it gets too much sun.

Ask a Question