Did my crocus croak?

Reaction score
I love when the crocus pop up out of the ground. This year I never saw them. I don't know if they died in this extra bitter winter, or if they popped up and bloomed under the snow. It just seems like a bad start to the season without seeing them.

The tulips are about 4" tall now at least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We usually have the little grape hyacinth here in the spring, and I didn't see them at all either. We did get the daffodils, but by then, it had warmed up in one of the little spurts of sunshine we had. I think they will probably come back next year, the crocus seem to be pretty sturdy little bulbs. We had them in Northern Idaho when i lived there and it would get down to about -30 some winters.
Maybe they actually did come up under the snow, but if it was too cold for them to grow, it was probably too cold for them to come up as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I do hope they will be back next spring. I've actually thought of planting them throughout the yard, how pretty would that be in the spring! Just have to convince my husband. He thinks it would be pretty in the spring but look funny the rest of the summer, I think by the time the grass is ready to be cut, the flowers are done and it can just be mowed down with the grass.

Reaction score
We usually have the little grape hyacinth here in the spring, and I didn't see them at all either. We did get the daffodils, but by then, it had warmed up in one of the little spurts of sunshine we had. I think they will probably come back next year, the crocus seem to be pretty sturdy little bulbs. We had them in Northern Idaho when i lived there and it would get down to about -30 some winters.
Maybe they actually did come up under the snow, but if it was too cold for them to grow, it was probably too cold for them to come up as well.

Did your hyacinths have any fragrance? My grape hyacinths did not even come up. I really hadn't noticed until reading yours. All of the spring flowers had it hard here in Michigan.There weren't many daffodils or tulips. It's mid June and I just now see the roses STARTING to bloom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My crocus shoots came up and got fairly tall, but I didn't have any blooms this year. The daffodils (Easter lilies or Easter flags) did just fine though. I did miss my crocus though, they are my favorites!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I love when the crocus pop up out of the ground. This year I never saw them. I don't know if they died in this extra bitter winter, or if they popped up and bloomed under the snow. It just seems like a bad start to the season without seeing them.

The tulips are about 4" tall now at least.
It is probably far to cold in Wisconsin right now, but here is a nice tip for crocuses. I have tons of these, and the grape hyacinths with daffodils. What I end up doing evey year is digging up the area where they are planted because it is a multi seasonal bed. I usually fine the Crocus bulbs have had babies and split them up. I don't do anything special, I just push them right back in the dirt. It seems if you don't split them up the little ones do not grow and the bigger bulbs burn out. Seems to be the same with the Grape hyacinths. Now I do have a bit of a mystery with the daffy's. I originally put in the King Edward Daffys which are quite large, well they seem to be in need of some more bulbs, but somehow I have a whole bunch of little daffys. I think they are narcissus, and they are all in different colors so that is very special. It makes for a very pretty spring bed, not as formal as the King Edwards, but nice, sort of whimsical. I guess somewhere somehow I must have got a mismarked bag from the nursery? I don't know, there are to many to just be the birds or squirrels.

Reaction score
I'll have to dig them up and see if they need to be split. I'm rather thinking it was the extreme winter we had last year but they have been in the ground 3 years now so it's probably time to divide them!

Ask a Question