Desert Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
We have a rose plant in our country which does very well in tropical climates. The name of this rose is The Desert Rose. It has the colour of pink and is very beautiful. This plant thrives well when it gets a lot of sun and does not need to be watered regularly. I have a couple of them in plant pots in my garden. Apart from having to pull out some weeds around them from time to time, they do not need a whole lot of care, but tend to thrive very well on their own.

th
th

Reaction score
I have heard about this one plant on here before, but I have never seen one in real. I've seen a lot pics of it online though, and I must say this plant is really beautiful. I can't dream of having one though, because I'll be living in a place with a really difficult weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember reading about Desert Rose in a different thread here. Like Trellum, I wish I could see it in real. It's such a beautiful and interesting plant!
The roses in your photos look absolutely gorgeous:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, they are absolutely very pretty! I love the color too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Desert-rose is not a 'true' Rose (Rosa spp.), but rather species and hybrids of the genus Adenium, in the Dogbane family (Apocynaceae). Depending on classification, there are six to ten species of Adenium, native to East Africa, southern Arabia, and the Isles of Socotra.

Adenium make fine houseplants for sunny windows and also excellent garden specimens in warmer climates.
In my USDA Zone 9b garden, I keep two Adenium plants on my patio, where they bloom throughout the Summer and early Fall.
In early November, I bring them under the porch eaves, away from frost and winter dampness, where the persist in a leafless state until warm weather returns in Spring.

Ask a Question