Daucus Carota (Wild Carrot, Queen Anne's Lace)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b Central Illinois
Country
United States
These have started popping up eeeeeverywhere in my yard. I am concerned because I read where the leaves can cause phytophtodermatitis. I have looked at several sites and the only one that says this is Wikipedia. Quote- ".. the leaves of the wild carrot can cause phytophotodermatitis, so caution should also be used when handling the plant." I wouldn't care but they are growing in the fenced area where my dogs frequently are. Since I haven't seen anything thing else that says this, I am wondering if it's true or not. I remember this picture going viral on facebook of something that looked similarsimilar to Daucus Carota last year that caused phytophtodermatitis and it was being mistaken for Daucus Carota because the white flowers they produce look extremely similar.
So my question is, is it true that the leaves can cause phytophtodermatitis?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with them causing that, but they certainly are invasive here in the US. If you have a way to remove them, that would be the best bet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b Central Illinois
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with them causing that, but they certainly are invasive here in the US. If you have a way to remove them, that would be the best bet.
Okay that's good I've read where it says to mow before seed set. What does "seed set" mean exactly?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay that's good I've read where it says to mow before seed set. What does "seed set" mean exactly?

You'll want to mow or cut it down before the plants start producing seed, and before they ripen. As soon as you can identify it, cut it. I don't know much about this plant, but I believe I've read that it's a biennial, so if you cut off the flowers for a couple years, you'll start seeing fewer of them, but there's no telling how many seeds have already scattered in the area, so it may take some time before you stop seeing them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not heard anything about them causing that anywhere, and I read a lot of books on wild plants and their uses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alba

Latest Threads