Cutting propagation methods?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How do you guys/gals get cuttings to root? I'm new here so I thought I would introduce myself by sharing things that work for me. You know, I'm a team player :).

I use clear empty plastic bottles. Water and soda bottles mainly. I cut them in half then make a couple holes in the cap for ventilation and a few on the bottom for drainage. I use equal part sphagnum moss and vermiculite. The pictures show them on a heated propagation mat under cfl grow lights. That's because I am in Michigan and its the end of October. Over the summer I used the same method for some gardenia and ficus cuttings but I kept them outside under a peach tree with filtered light. 4 of the 6 gardenias and 7 of the 8 ficus cuttings rooted. In fact, it worked so well that I actually had roots sprouting half way up the ficus stems!

Earlier this month I had 10 fuchsia cuttings that I had indoors without the heating mat and only 4 rooted well with a 5th one on life support. These cuttings in the pictures are going on their second week and of the 26 I have on the heating mat, it looks like only 1 is not going to make it. The best part is that there is no guessing or tugging on the cutting to see if it's rooted. With the clear bottles you can see the roots and know it's ready to be popped out and potted up!!

This also works great for seeds. I tried it with some Lemon-scented and Rainbow Eucalyptus tree seeds this summer and I had more than I could handle sprout!

20151028_114930.jpg

20151028_115349.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It depends on the plant. Let's take for instance the grape vine. What we do is cut a big vine that's about a centimeter thick. We would wrap it in an old newspaper that is maintained to be wet for 24 hours. On the next day, we would plant it in a soft plastic pot for rooting. The plastic pot is placed in a shaded area and is to be watered everyday. The wetter, the better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That's some serious propogating there Java Guy:). I just dunk the cuttings into water, coat the ends with propogating powder and stick them in propogating soil and then hope for the best.;) Works fairly often, not sure of my strike rate rate, maybe 50%-60%. I may have to take a"leaf" out of your book:LOL: and be a bit more conscientious.
I have a 3/4 acre block so propogating is great to fill new areas. Tomorrow I intend planting my Dogwood cuttings along with Tequila Salvia on the border of my neighbours property to hide the back of their wood shed which is a corrugated iron water tank turned on its side, half painted and a bit of an eye sore from my side. I've painted it a a green/grey this morning. Actually painted it a blue/grey yesterday but didn't like it. Both were paints I had in my shed so no new purchases all round. Love that!!!:p Thanks for the inspiration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Corzhens... I have used wet paper towels to get seeds started but I haven't used something like what you do for propagating. Have you noticed a better result pre-soaking the cuttings in the wet paper towels for 24 hours before planting them on for rooting? That would be an interesting experiment because I am up for anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to increase rooting success.

@DeborahJane... 50% percent or so is about what I get when I do my cuttings like you. That's what I do in the summer time. Unfortunately, I'm in Michigan and by the end of August it's just too cold to get cuttings to reliably root without help. If I lived in a warmer climate, say Australia :rolleyes:, I wouldn't have to bother with this set up. I have a hard time letting any good cuttings go after pruning...just seems like a waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Java Guy, I am not a real gardener because I had learned gardening only when I was in middle age - I was born and raised in a city apartment. That old newspaper thing was taught to us by a farmer who gave us cassava cuttings for planting. We wrapped the cuttings of 1 foot long in newspaper and maintained it wet for 2 days. When we planted it in the soil, it sprouted within the week with healthy leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Corzhens...don't sell yourself short my friend. If you are able to plant something and not kill it, you are a real gardener in my book!! (y)

I'm going to try this trick with willow cuttings in the spring. I'm curious. Thanks for the new idea!

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
How do you guys/gals get cuttings to root? I'm new here so I thought I would introduce myself by sharing things that work for me. You know, I'm a team player :).

I use clear empty plastic bottles. Water and soda bottles mainly. I cut them in half then make a couple holes in the cap for ventilation and a few on the bottom for drainage. I use equal part sphagnum moss and vermiculite. The pictures show them on a heated propagation mat under cfl grow lights. That's because I am in Michigan and its the end of October. Over the summer I used the same method for some gardenia and ficus cuttings but I kept them outside under a peach tree with filtered light. 4 of the 6 gardenias and 7 of the 8 ficus cuttings rooted. In fact, it worked so well that I actually had roots sprouting half way up the ficus stems!

Earlier this month I had 10 fuchsia cuttings that I had indoors without the heating mat and only 4 rooted well with a 5th one on life support. These cuttings in the pictures are going on their second week and of the 26 I have on the heating mat, it looks like only 1 is not going to make it. The best part is that there is no guessing or tugging on the cutting to see if it's rooted. With the clear bottles you can see the roots and know it's ready to be popped out and potted up!!

This also works great for seeds. I tried it with some Lemon-scented and Rainbow Eucalyptus tree seeds this summer and I had more than I could handle sprout!

View attachment 9508

View attachment 9509

Hi!
Thanks for your post and photos.
Can you told, is there a way to recognise - is there a Rainbow Eucalyptus or not?
I'm bought seeds from abroad, and dont know how to see is there a right plant that I have now)
Does it smell like eucalyptus from the start, or there some other ways?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States

View attachment 9508

View attachment 9509
That's a pretty cool idea with the bottles. Kind of individual greenhouses.
I use pumice in 72 10x20 trays. Sometimes I use a mat sometimes I don't. I've gotten fig trees to go that way and flamingo willows plus other stuff. Trying to get mulberries to root but not much luck with that yet.

Ask a Question