Cut rose from florist growing new leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was given a cut long stemmed rose on Valentine's Day at the restaurant where we ate. I took it home and put it in a bud vase. To my surprise, it is growing new leaves in 3 or 4 spots along the stem. And although the rose blossom looks old (it's almost 6-weeks old), the rose is still intact and has not shed any petals.

Has this happened to anyone else? It is new to me -- do you think I can try potting it up when it gets warm enough and see if it roots?

wiseowl

\friendly Owl
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
United Kingdom Hardiness Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning Missouri I should pot it up now and give it daylight and not warm,or you could just put it in the ground and leave it:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one the same, no roots on it yet so I took @ChanellG 's advice and stuck a stick of Willow in the jar with it. Meant to encourage it to root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Some of my cut roses had developed leaves, but I didn't manage to root any of them. I hope you'll have more luck. Putting a stick of willow in the water sounds like a great idea!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of roses that grew in her garden. They were of one variety which we call 'Catherine'. I planted those stems after the roses had withered and every single cutting lived and yielded. Due to my being not available for a while those who cared for them did not do a good job which resulted in them dying. Here is one of those:

cream.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for all the replies! I potted this and put it outside once it got warm. It doesn't look like it is doing well, but I'm leaving it for awhile just in case. It would be wonderful if it would root and grow. Don't know the variety but it was a beautiful bright pink. And here in Missouri, it had to come all the way across the country as a cut rose before I got it for Valentine's Day.

Ask a Question