Cut flowers, what's your favorite?

Reaction score
I pay visits to the local cemetery to pay respects to many loved ones, & for the past several years, I have had great luck with Alstroemerias, the Peruvian Lilies.

One, I get 2 blooming seasons per year, 2, they are quite hardy, at least they are here in the coastal area of southern California, & 3, they last longer than any cut flowers I have ever planted! I can take a few to my parents & 2 weeks later, they are still doing well!

Mine are salmon colored, but sadly, I don't recall what variety they are :-(

Reaction score
I love roses..they stay for a week or more. Crysanthamums too last long. I often use mums in vases, I have a few beautiful colors and love to mix them with a few bunches of daises. I love them. Even as I type this a bunch of pale pink mums and daises sit at my desk.

Reaction score
Sounds lovely Maddie, & it must be very nice to see them & smell them at all times! What are your colors of roses? My mom always loved First Prize roses. I don't have any now, but I always liked the dramatic colored & contrasted colors. I don't know the names of them, but will include a few photos below, once I find their images!

Thanks for sharing, Maddie :)

images
images

images
images

images

Reaction score
I have Daffodils that grow in my back yard. Early Spring, I cut them and place in a vase. They last a week or so, but I add a new cutting once every couple of days to keep it looking like fresh!

Daffodils.jpg

Reaction score
Taskeinc, those are beautiful - are they yours or a stock photo? And I do as you, in that I add a freshly cut flower everyday as well. Do you put anything in the water? I know they have prepared additives & have heard people put sugar & even an aspirin in the water. I just usually make sure water is tepid when I add the flowers & never add anything to the water.

Reaction score
Sweet peas and poppies. There is just something about the ethereal look of them.

images

images

Of course, they don't generally last too long, but I enjoy them while they last. Also, they grow in great abundance and it doesn't take away from the over all look when you snag a few to enjoy indoors.

Jed

Reaction score
I love both roses and daffodils. My favourite rose being Oklahoma.It's so fragrant as a cut flower.I took a cutting years ago on my first wedding anniversary and now it reminds us of the occasion.
Daffodils are great as cut flowers.
I found if you snap the stems and slightly bend them before putting them in a vase, they last longer than if they were clean cut.

Reaction score
Taskeinc, those are beautiful - are they yours or a stock photo? And I do as you, in that I add a freshly cut flower everyday as well. Do you put anything in the water? I know they have prepared additives & have heard people put sugar & even an aspirin in the water. I just usually make sure water is tepid when I add the flowers & never add anything to the water.
They are mine SweetBeast, every year, early spring, they grow, about 6-8 weeks and I cut fresh Daffodils about every 3rd or 4th day. Here's another picture of the same vase, from a wider angle (you can barely see the green box file, to the right, that I had the Daffodils sitting on in the first picture) .. you can also see one of my orchids in the shot, it's about to bloom again, but instead of one stem with 3 flowers, it's now 2 stems and I will have a total of 6 blooms.. My office is in the background ..

Speaking of orchids, I saw this GORGEOUS blue orchid in the grocery store yesterday, in full bloom, the cost was $29 .. I sure did want to buy it, but that $29 would have been a third of what I ended up spending for groceries.. and with it being xmas time, I could use that $29 to buy a gift for my kids, so I reluctantly backed off ...

Daises.jpg

My second orchid is the white orchid pictured below... when I am not using the vase for daffodils or cut roses, I will root a plant and eventually transfer it to soil as I am doing here with cuttings from a Tri-color Dracaena ...

3-plants-corner.jpg

Here's a close up, I have now transferred the Tri-color Dracaena to soil. In that same vase today, I have a bamboo plant filled with marble and rock that I bought at the dollar store ... The Tri-color Dra. is growing nicely in a pot .. I actually have a tri-color and a regular Dracaena together in the same pot .. I love to grow 2-5 different plants in one pot .. container gardens ..

rooting-draceana.jpg

Reaction score
This is what the blue orchids at Publix looked like .. if they are there after Xmas, I am definitely going to shell out the $29 to buy at least one, would like to get two or three...

20120903-223350.jpg

Reaction score
Sweet peas and poppies. There is just something about the ethereal look of them.

images

images

Of course, they don't generally last too long, but I enjoy them while they last. Also, they grow in great abundance and it doesn't take away from the overall look when you snag a few to enjoy indoors.

Those are very pretty Lanie - are they in the same bed ? I ask, as the contrast of the two is stunning ! I don't think the poppies are fragrant, but are the sweet peas? I have had neither, so I am not sure.

Thanks for the photos !

Reaction score
I love both roses and daffodils. My favourite rose being Oklahoma.It's so fragrant as a cut flower.I took a cutting years ago on my first wedding anniversary and now it reminds us of the occasion.
Daffodils are great as cut flowers.
I found if you snap the stems and slightly bend them before putting them in a vase, they last longer than if they were clean cut.

Jed, thanks as I will look into the Oklahoma variety as I currently have no roses & I love fragrance! And thanks for the tip as I had never heard of that, but I will certainly give it a try !

Reaction score
They are mine SweetBeast, every year, early spring, they grow, about 6-8 weeks and I cut fresh Daffodils about every 3rd or 4th day. Here's another picture of the same vase, from a wider angle (you can barely see the green box file, to the right, that I had the Daffodils sitting on in the first picture) .. you can also see one of my orchids in the shot, it's about to bloom again, but instead of one stem with 3 flowers, it's now 2 stems and I will have a total of 6 blooms.. My office is in the background ..

Speaking of orchids, I saw this GORGEOUS blue orchid in the grocery store yesterday, in full bloom, the cost was $29 .. I sure did want to buy it, but that $29 would have been a third of what I ended up spending for groceries.. and with it being xmas time, I could use that $29 to buy a gift for my kids, so I reluctantly backed off ...

Beautiful taskeinc as they are so perfect, but they cannot be fake as we can't beat Mother Nature! And I like the fact you have a wide variety of plants/flowers - very nice setting! You think it helps you work, to be able to glance at them every now & then?
And those blue orchids? Post us a photo when you get on, okay ? I have never seen such a striking flower, but I am partial to blue!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Daises.jpg

My second orchid is the white orchid pictured below... when I am not using the vase for daffodils or cut roses, I will root a plant and eventually transfer it to soil as I am doing here with cuttings from a Tri-color Dracaena ...

3-plants-corner.jpg

Here's a close up, I have now transferred the Tri-color Dracaena to soil. In that same vase today, I have a bamboo plant filled with marble and rock that I bought at the dollar store ... The Tri-color Dra. is growing nicely in a pot .. I actually have a tri-color and a regular Dracaena together in the same pot .. I love to grow 2-5 different plants in one pot .. container gardens ..

rooting-draceana.jpg

Reaction score
My favorite cut flowers have to be both the sunflower and tulips. Another favorite that I haven't been able to get to bloom for me is freesia. The smell to me is just heavenly. I'm going to give them another shot as soon as I get a chance.

Reaction score
My favorite cut flowers have to be both the sunflower and tulips. Another favorite that I haven't been able to get to bloom for me is freesia. The smell to me is just heavenly. I'm going to give them another shot as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks sunflower & while I never planted sunflowers, I had two of them, grow, many years ago, along side the house & when they bloomed, my goodness they were beautiful ! And I have always been afraid to try tulips or orchids, not sure why. But my guess is when I was a kid, some of my neighbors had some beautiful flowers & one of them may have said something, but they sure are pretty!

Do you eat the seeds of the sunflower? I have to Google freesia as I recall the name, but cannot picture in my mind!

Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
SweetBeast .. I cannot stand artificial flowers or plants of any kind or texture.. I've had people say to me, "oh it you buy silk plants, or some other type, they look real." I don't care how "real" they look, I know they are artificial and for me, that takes the challenge out of caring for plants. Plus, artificial plants do nothing for my indoor environment. There's nothing better than live plants because, if you have enough of them, and have cared for them long enough, you realize that certain plants have a distinct personality.

Ask a Question