Cranberry. Cost per pound? Juicing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Tis the season for cranberries. Saw the first of the season 2015 in the supermarket. Price was $1.77 for 340 grams which is the equivalent of 12 ounces.This is $2.36 per pound. The berries were from Nova Scotia, and were not as red as I prefer.

In Ontario they are produced in small quantities in Bala, Ontario. They have a street festival this month, which is very pleasant to see the harvest. I may go or get a box of berries shipped.

I like to buy ~20 pounds and mix with apples to remove the tart flavor and make juice.

This is the 2014 effort.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WUPPJ 15 October 2014 Cranberry Juice
About 25 pounds of cranberries was ordered from Johnstone’s Cranberries in Bala, Ontario. Cost was $60.00 plus $30.00 shipping. This was made into 25 liters of juice. Each liter has about a liter of berries or about one pound. Cranberries have almost no juice so each cooking pot had 12 liters of water added to create juice. Method: A liter of water per pound added,cooked for about 20 minutes until soft, beat into a slurry with the hand blender, strained in 2mm screen food mill, placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the idea of home made cranberry juice! It sounds delightful.

(I used to drink Ocean Spray cranberry juice until I saw the commercial on TV. The two men standing in a pool of cranberries with stupid jokes just turned me off and it's just gross :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I love the idea of home made cranberry juice! It sounds delightful.

(I used to drink Ocean Spray cranberry juice until I saw the commercial on TV. The two men standing in a pool of cranberries with stupid jokes just turned me off and it's just gross :)

Commercial supermarket cranberry juice is colored water. I have made pure cranberry juice, but it is too thick in texture and very tart. Drinkable with an effort.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QMSJD 18 October 2014 Pure Raw Cranberry Juice
A 12 0z or 340 gram package of raw cranberries was made into pure juice by processing through a Champion Juicer.Cost of berries was $2,50. Eight ounces of juice was obtained. The juice is thick, extremely sour, similar to a lemon, but drinkable.Probably a three ounce serving would be acceptable for a daily serving. Pictures depict the process. Compare this with the commercial versions
dsc_129618%20october%202014%20pure%20raw%20cranberry%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love cranberries but natively they are extremely tart. Honestly they don't have a lot of juice capacity which is why they're mixed in juice cocktails with lots of water and sweetened. Personally I like making cranberry jams, ect more than using them for juice because it's just more cost efficient that way. It's a great fruit but not one that lends itself viable enough for cost productive juice unless you do what the commercial people do which is mix with other juice cocktails and add water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/October 2015/6 October 2015 Cranberry Juice/HTML/ 6 October 2015 Cranberry Juice
Twenty four pounds of pristine cranberries were purchased from Costco ($1.66 per pound) and processed into 35 liter jars of pressure canned juice. Cranberries are tart so to ameliorate this, 20 pounds of various apples were added. The juice is a bit tart but is a most refreshing drink.
Procedure is for each pound of cranberry add one liter of water to make a suitable drink texture, add one pound of apples for each pound of cranberries to remove the tart flavor and to sweeten the juice somewhat.The cranberry and apple were cooked until soft with about 24 liters of water in three batches, blended into a slurry, food mill strained (2mm screen) and placed in liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_82566%20october%202015%20cranberry%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah apple's a great addition to cranberries haha. That's a lot of juice there. :] Good work. Cranberries are really good for urinary tract health too- which a lot of people ignore.

Ask a Question