Corn Pressure Canning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August 2015/4 August 2015 Corn Pressure Canning/HTML/ 4 August 2015 Corn Pressure Canning
Four dozen of pristine, purchased corn was made into 7 liters of corn juice or slurry.Cost was $5.00 per dozen. The kernels about ten pounds were removed from the cobs, placed in the cooking pot and five liters of water was added. The mixture was cooked about 20 minutes and beat into a slurry using the hand lender. The slurry was strained through a 2 mm mesh screen on a Victorio food mill. The residue of the Victorio was put through a Champion Juicer to glean maximum nutrients. The total residue from the process being mostly cellulose was placed in the bird feeder to see if they will eat it.
dsc_77324%20august%202015%20corn%20pressure%20canning_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, this is new to me. But I really don't understand the purpose of it all. Pardon me for my ignorance but what I get is that the corn was grated and cooked then pressed for the benefit of the birds. Am I right on that assumption or do I need to be enlightened. I love corn that's why I opened this thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The cellulose discard was put in the bird feeder instead of the garbage. Th corn was processed for off season use, when corn does not grow. A method of preservation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are just amazing and I am learning new things from you as always! Since 99% of my food comes from the stores, I have no idea what to do or can do with so many things. Your juicing alone was quite impressive, and a trip to visit your garden or your storage space with everything you do would be a fantastic trip :)

Ask a Question