Controlling raspberries?

Reaction score
I inherited a fruit garden with a handful of raspberry and blueberry plants. In the two years since we bought the house, I have pulled up dozens of raspberries. They are growing in like weeds and I am afraid that they will choke each other out. Does anybody have any advice to prevent them spreading so quickly?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Raspberry roots spread in the top six inches of soil, so here's how to restrict them:
dig a very narrow slit trench all around the ground you've allowed for raspberries about a foot deep, and line that trench with a layer of impenetrable, non-bio-degradable material, like poly-carbonate, acrylic etc. and dig our the roots where they are not wanted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wish I had some raspberry bushes in my yard. Do they grow well with blackberry bushes? I was thinking I could put some out in the Forrest line of my yard when we get a house along with blackberries so there would not be much work to do to keep them under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Raspberries, or any berry for that matter, are not native in my country. So, I do wish that I have raspberries in my garden. However, I didn't know that they can grow so much. I do hope that you will be able to control them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would imagine that they do grow well in my area because they are like blacberries. Blackberries grow like crazy where I live.

Reaction score
I love my blackberries! I have a hard time pruning them back, but I do alittle. They are running along my fence.

Ask a Question