Container gardening - corn in a pot?

Reaction score
I grew up with a vegetable garden. We could just go outside and pick tomatoes and asparagus and all manner of stuff to eat whenever we hungry, all spring, summer, and fall.

Now, my husband's in the military, and that means lots of moves, so I decided last year I was going to try container gardening.

I failed. I couldn't get anything to ripen - though I'm not sure if that's because of unfamiliarity with the Colorado climate, or what.

I want to try again this year. Specifically, I found a place on-line (I've lost the link now. I'll dig it up later.) that says you can grow a Three Sisters container (corn, squash, and beans), I have a little girl who loves corn and beans, and I can never have enough zucchini. So I bought a great big bucket, and want to try this.

Has anyone done this before? Have you got any tips? This specifically or any kind of container gardening?

Reaction score
I thought you needed a large number of corn stalks to get a good yield out of them. We get tiny ears unless we are growing 10 rows of 40 at least. Maybe that is just something I heard once and have been running with ever since. I think it would make a beautiful potted plant for looks alone. Tomatoes do okay in pots so I assume beans and things like that would as well.

I cant wait to hear how it all goes for you. Maybe I have been using up half a yard when I didnt need to.

Reaction score
Omg! I so want to try this! Would you please find the link and post it here so I can look into this? I'd jump on going and getting a bucket so I could do this. A few ears of corn would do my family as we don't eat corn much. I really can't get over how something like this would work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Won't work. First corn is wind pollinated and has to be planted close together and you need a lot of plants. Second,corn plants grow rapidily and will overshadow anything planted underneath them such as squash. Third, corn is a very shallow rooted plant and wind is a huge factor. That is one reason corn plants are planted to close to each other. Imagine having 5 or 6 pole bean plants hanging onto a corn plant in a 20mph wind. They would be horizontal. However, you can sucessfully grow squash in a pot or beans in pot if it is a big pot but not corn.

Ask a Question