Composting, trying to reduce the amount of trash I generate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I live in an apartment and I do not have a garden, I have been looking at ways to get rid of all my organic wast without generating more trash/mixing it with recyclable waste. What is the best way? I have been looking at worm composting but all the information Ive found so far seams to be directed to people that grow their food or have lots of plants.

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
There is a simple method of using your organic waste and getting a compost manure with most nutrients intact. This involves putting your waste in plastic paper bags preferably black and wetting it with water. Then loosely tie the ends leaving some little allowance for air circulation. After one month, the organic waste will have turned into an excellent compost similar to cow manure. Most nutrients would have been retained due to non exposure to the environment which causes volatility as in normal composting methods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you happen to want to get some house plants, I do know that broken egg shells and coffee grains are ideal for using as a natural fertilizer for house plants. That might not get rid of a lot of your trash, but every little bit helps. The vitamins and protein in the egg shells boosts the growth of house plants and the caffeine in coffee also helps them grow as well. Coffee grains also help keep plants moist longer because they retain water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are lots of ideas for patio or apartment gardens, many of which will use other trash items. I use almost all of my plastic bottles as planters and hang them everywhere that gets light. Combine that with the above mentioned composting ideas and you can eliminate a lot of your garbage. Also, depending on what foods you eat, you can actually regrow some vegetables that you buy at the supermarket. A few months ago I learned that if you plant the base of romaine lettuce, it will regrow 2 or 3 more times

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been putting all of my coffee grounds and egg shells into my garden. I love that I am not throwing out the grounds and making my trash bin stinky. I also like that the egg shells keep slugs and snails away from my plants! They love to munch on the leaves and the egg shells put some more calcium into the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I live in a farm and I have animals.Thus, when ever food goes waste, I don't throw it, I give to my animals. I use other non edible things but organic things to make compost. I have a big compost pit. The organic waste in my farm generates organic fertilizer for two hectors of my land.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I would suggest that you get a plastic bin with a good cover where you can collect the leftover organic items like food, vegetable trimmings, fruit rinds. The decaying compost will exude an unpleasant odor so you have to be aware of that. When we were living in an apartment, we didn't dare make compost mainly because of the odor.

In composting with worms, you would need an outdoor space because worms need air and sunshine too.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Corzhens, worms do need air, but they do not need sunlight. They prefer to be in the dark. ( Sunlight dries them out and exposes them to birds. :eek: ) Many people keep their worm bins in their basement.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am having good luck with my compost. However, i have ants in it. Should i be concerned about the ants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Like the original poster, I am an urbanite with a small apartment. I want to start composting and was looking at an expensive kit at the store. It looks like the methods here will be much cheaper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I am having good luck with my compost. However, i have ants in it. Should i be concerned about the ants?
I've used diatomaceous earth to get rid of ants in my home and had great success. I like that product because it's non-toxic, so I don't worry if my cat will get into it. I've read here if it will work with compost. However, I honestly can't give a first hand account of that as I haven't started composting yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I've been 'composting' our kitchen wastes [vegetarian] in an open pit. Just a pit, dump all the things and it takes some weeks to fill up the pit - roughly 1x1x1 ft. It is in some shade. I also add in between, some dry leaves, some green leaves from the almond tree, some wood ash from the hot water boiler and a good amount of coffee grounds and tea leaves, once in a week - I collect them in a container first and then dump it there. See picture - this took a long time - may be 3 months -I moisten it once in a while before removing. In between I also 'stir' the contents once or twice and then leave it covered for a week or so. See how nicely it became. I store the bag in an open shed and use it for my re-potting work or add a handful or two to the base of plants. I can't pin point its benefits I have noticed, but I can say that it is some good organic matter to the earth.

DSC07340.JPG

Ask a Question