Composting in a dry climate

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I live in Southern California, we have a very dry climate. I tried to create a compost pile in the past but it was so dry that nothing seemed to be happening. I turned to bokashi for my kitchen waste and that works well. However, I still want to find a way to compost my yard waste. It just seems to wasteful to throw away the leftover plants after the fruit has been eaten.

Does anyone have tips for composting in a dry environment?

I have thought of using barrels, but want to add rabbit poop and soon chicken poop to the compost and am not sure if I want to use barrels for that. I am also thinking of diggin a hole and putting my compost pile in the ground to help with moisture retention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Southern California, we have a very dry climate. I tried to create a compost pile in the past but it was so dry that nothing seemed to be happening. I turned to bokashi for my kitchen waste and that works well. However, I still want to find a way to compost my yard waste. It just seems to wasteful to throw away the leftover plants after the fruit has been eaten.

Does anyone have tips for composting in a dry environment?

I have thought of using barrels, but want to add rabbit poop and soon chicken poop to the compost and am not sure if I want to use barrels for that. I am also thinking of diggin a hole and putting my compost pile in the ground to help with moisture retention.
I also live in a dry climate. What I do is about once a month is to pour a 5 gallon bucket of compost tea on my pile. Don't worry about the outside of the pile becoming dry and dusty, just keep the middle slightly moist and keep it turned

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you.

Another question. Is it ok to put chicken and rabbit manure in the compost pile with leaves and such?

Ask a Question