Compost from Earthworm

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Have you ever made compost from earthworm? Earthworm makes high quality manure. Fill the pot with organic waste and drop some earthworm. Earthworms will eat the waste. Their poop is high quality fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Yep, It is the best quality fertilizer you can get, plus you get rid of the 70% of you house disposal.

You need a specific type of worm: "Red Californian earth worm". These worm will compost the organic material a lot quicker that any other type. Keep them in a damp place with no access to birds or mice. You need a way to get the fertilizer when it's ready.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a good source of cattle manure (horse or other manure would do) which comes mixed with straw.
I broadcast that on my plot, and the whole plot is now riddled with worms, who love it.
They are making my worm compost for me in situ!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a compost bin that is just a hole on the ground measuring 1 foot deep and 1 foot in diameter. That's where we throw the leftover vegetable trimmings from the kitchen, fruit rinds and other organic matter that the earthworm would relish. When the bin is full, we dig another hole and then another. The decayed matter in the compost bin becomes good compost in a month or 2.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made a compost bin from an old plastic trash can. I drilled holes in it and then painted it to match the rest of my raised gardens.
DSCI3440.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I would start by making some compost using nylon paper bags with green plant material inside them and wetted. Leaving a small opening for oxygen, tie the end and put the whole set up in a dry sunny place. After a month, you should have excellent compost. Put earthworms in at this juncture to start digesting the material further and you could end with vermicompost which is a high value soil addition.

The Urban Farmer

Founder of The-Urban-Farmer.com
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
I've used the worm factory (<-- NOT an affiliate link) before and had great success with getting wormcastings. It does take consistent maintenance and moving trays around but what you get from it is totally worth it. Just be sure to keep it in a shady area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
Nepal
If you use worms in your compost bin, it will speed up composting process. Good thing about using worms is you can get rid of organic waste. The only problem with using worms is you will have to manually separate worm from the compost.

Ask a Question