Cobweb like growth on Ivy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what this is?

I left my plants in care of a friend while I was away for 6 weeks. When I came back they were all in great shape except this new indoor Ivy. It's covered in a cobweb-like white substance and tiny specks stuck in it. The plant it self seems dried up and dying. I'm hoping to save it and stop this strange growth. Any ideas how?
20150730_065753.jpg
20150730_065753.jpg
20150730_065803.jpg
20150730_065803.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what this is?

I left my plants in care of a friend while I was away for 6 weeks. When I came back they were all in great shape except this new indoor Ivy. It's covered in a cobweb-like white substance and tiny specks stuck in it. The plant it self seems dried up and dying. I'm hoping to save it and stop this strange growth. Any ideas how?View attachment 8158 View attachment 8158 View attachment 8159 View attachment 8159
I am pretty sure what you have are spider mites. To make sure place a sheet of white paper under portion of the plant and shake the plant vigorously. Some of those little specks will fall onto paper and you will see tiny crawling insects. Spider mites have a complicated reproduction process and are difficult to completely eliminate quickly. If it were me I would get rid of the plant, the pot and the soil ASAP before they spread to other indoor and outdoor plants. Google them. There are volumes of info on them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear about your ivy, I guess it might be spider mites?? They can leave a very fine cobweb over leaves, and they can cause leaves to die unfortunately. Is the whole plant affected?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I too agree that those are spider mites. We had the exact same thing on our Christmas tree a couple of years ago and ended up finding little tiny spiders crawling everywhere. It is a shame that it happened to your plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! So I looked very closely and saw the little things moving around. I believe the whole plant is done for. So I covered it with a garbage bag and will bring it down to the dumpster.

Now I just need to make sure none of my other plants get them! Eeks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know you have spider mites in the UK, but as they say "Great minds think alike."

Sadly I had to get rid of a small kaffir lime plant recently which had been overrun by the little blighters :(

Fingers crossed they haven't spread! Was your ivy in close proximity to any other plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! So I looked very closely and saw the little things moving around. I believe the whole plant is done for. So I covered it with a garbage bag and will bring it down to the dumpster.

Spray everything with Neem Oil including the soil underneath your plants even if they do not show any symptoms. It will kill the live ones and smother the eggs. Do this every 3-4 days for 2 weeks. By doing this it will break their reproductive cycle. Believe me, you don't want to let these insects get established

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately, yes. I found some more webbing on a Philodendron nearby. It's not much, so I think I can save this one. Also my Meyer Lemon tree just started to Fruit so I'm very anxious to protect it from these pests. I'm looking up everything I can to see what is best for my beloved plants!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'll be out tomorrow checking for spider mites. I know I've see that webbing on something and I think it's my kafir lime. First light and itching, just mentioning any thing remotely creepy crawly makes me itch :mad:. I'm scratching as I type:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been lucky not having spider mites, I have one orchid that had mealy bugs. I washed the whole plant in warm soapy water and so far they haven't come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen this sort of web, and those little specs before in my garden outside! I knew they were spider web, and those little specs are baby spiders. This year, we don't have this problem, thanks goodness!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am positive with that cobweb pest. It is produced by an insect, a flying insect that hops. Our mango tree is sometimes infested by those insect that we do not know what it is called. Just getting near the tree would agitate those insect so we would hear them hopping on the leaves. Whenever we see some cobwebs on the leaves, we spray the entire tree with insecticides.

Ask a Question