Climbing roses on the side of my home?

Reaction score
I love the idea of climbing roses. My home is about 25 years old and is covered in stone. I would love to create a cottage-like feel with yellow climbing roses, but I am fearful that growing any climbing vine on to my home will end in costly repairs. Can I use the climbing rose or go a different route?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you want climbing roses, then you will need to put up either trellis or wire to support them. This will mean drilling into the brickwork/stone, but as long as the holes are drilled properly then it should not cause any damage to your house :) Climbing roses might be preferable to rambling roses which only tend to bloom once a year - climbing roses bloom repeatedly through their flowering season.

Alternative climbers would be things such as Virginia Creeper (green leaves which turn a gorgeous dark red colour in the autumn) - these have tendrils which act like suckers attaching the plant to a wall, and so trellis / wire is not required. This doesn't cause damage to the brickwork but can be difficult to remove (we took off the Virginia Creeper when we moved into our house a year ago and you can still see the suckers on the wall). Ivy also supports itself, but the tendrils can damage brickwork.

In short I don't think you would have any problems with a climbing rose! :D

Reaction score
I think you can do it without having to drill into the walls .. Maybe you could have wooden or steel posts that could support your plants instead. Climbing roses do not harm walls per say.. but the drilling could. Just imagining how beautiful your yellow roses will look against the stone walls is so pleasing to the senses. Take a look ..

images
images

Reaction score
Mr. Kerrie built a wooden trellis and somehow attached it to the brick part of our house ... I'll have to ask him how and come back here! Anyway, he keeps it trimmed and it is always gorgeous!

Reaction score
I am not sure if climbing roses would damage the brick. I know ivy will and even though it looks super cute it is not a good idea. Roses have a different kind of vine though so they might just hold onto the trellis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never knew that ivy damaged brick. I always thought it looked really nice and homely when growing up the side of a brick house. Is it because the vines will grow into the brick and therefore damage the integrity of the stone? If you get a white trellis, the roses will look beautiful growing up it and intertwining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
English Ivy is the one that's bad about it. Their roots will dig in and cause structural damage. Virginia on the other hand has little suckers that stick to the side so they're pretty safe. Climbing roses will need a trellis to hold onto.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ivy does damage bricks:( We had to get rid of it, because it was destroying the walls of our house. Such a pity:(
Climbing roses are a much safer choice. Not to mention that they look absolutely gorgeous:love: I love the picture posted by Maddie!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like the way English Ivy looks but it's an absolutely invasive plant since it ruins houses and chokes everything to death. I think a house with climbing roses and wisterias would be gorgeous. Well worth the pain of setting up an extensive trellis system and training them to it.

Also it's not the brick itself that the roots will invade but the mortar that holds them together since they're weaker and offer more areas for purchase.

Ask a Question