City Compost

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ERHXL 8 May 2015 City Compost
The city supplies vegetative compost free of charge during the month of may. Pick up two garbage cans once a day. I use a box in the van about half a cubic yard and go every morning for a load.This is added to the garden and worked in using the small rototiller. It seems to be sufficient fertilizer for good growth.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Many towns, and municipalities offer free compost. It's well worth it to see if yours does also. Our town has no limitations as to how much you can take. Back when I had my pickup I would go every Saturday to fully load the bed of the truck. Of course you had to shovel it yourself, but still I'd rather shovel it for free than to lift those heavy bags I'd have to pay for. ;)

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
where I live you have to be a resident of the large city to get the free mulch. Those of us that live in smaller towns in the county get nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
We do green bin recycling where we live. They pick every week. I try my best to compost all food scraps into the green bin but even with weekly pick up we have problems with maggots. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do? I have a few neighbours who freeze their green bin items and then put the paper bag filled into the green bin the night of pick up. I don't have a large enough freezer to do this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use compost that has been produced by our local authorities. Although well rotted it's not screened, which means we could introduce pernicious weeds to our gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, what a nice city you have there to provide free compost. That's a good idea for communities particularly here where there are may empty lots that some are planted to vegetables. If those lots can be converted to gardens and there would be a community compost like that one in the pic, I guess we would have plenty of vegetables and fruits here for the picking.

Ask a Question