Citrus grafting difficult?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for reading!

Is it just me, or have other people noticed that Citrus is rather difficult to graft in comparison to other trees?
I find that my Citrus grafts take only like 20% of the time.

Any tips or advice as to why Citrus just refuses to graft, or do I just suck at it lOl?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have citrus plants that we experimented some years back. It is actually the lime and the calamansi (this is a variety of kumquat, a very sour citrus that has small round fruits). It's not grafting though but marcotting. We were successful because we had 3 marcotted branches that we planted in plastic pots for giveaways and one was left with us, that is the calamansi. With the lime, we also had 4 marcotted planters and we have retained 2 of them that are still here.

Marcotting is easy. Just wrap a few soil in the desired branch and let the roots grow. You can use wax paper for wrapping or even soft plastic. But what we used was soft cloth. Roots will appear in about 3 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have citrus plants that we experimented some years back. It is actually the lime and the calamansi (this is a variety of kumquat, a very sour citrus that has small round fruits). It's not grafting though but marcotting. We were successful because we had 3 marcotted branches that we planted in plastic pots for giveaways and one was left with us, that is the calamansi. With the lime, we also had 4 marcotted planters and we have retained 2 of them that are still here.

Marcotting is easy. Just wrap a few soil in the desired branch and let the roots grow. You can use wax paper for wrapping or even soft plastic. But what we used was soft cloth. Roots will appear in about 3 weeks.

Thanks, great tips! :D

Very helpful because I tend to fail at marcotting branches of citrus as well. I don't have this issue with other tree types though, so, that's why I am so confused as to why Citrus just refuses to play nice. :(

Ask a Question