Chives?

Reaction score
I tried growing chives seeds this summer? Nothing really came from it. I was wondering what I could of did wrong? I want to try growing them again. Should I try from seed again?

Reaction score
Hello DrYellow,
I've had good luck starting, and growing chives indoors. Them seem to like the steady cool temperatures of a air conditioned atmosphere. I found that if you don't keep them clipped to about four or five inches, they want to wilt. Chives also seem to need a good light source. So you might want to try them in different areas of your home, just to see where they like it best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grew some chives a couple of years ago and they grew well in a pot outside. I live in a cool climate so that probably helped out. I agree though, you do need to clip them down or they will wilt easilly.

Reaction score
I just bought a chive plant at the supermarket and just water it and keep it on the windowsill. I admire your patience for starting from seed. I'm not patient so I have to buy at least a small plant to start with.

Reaction score
As chives are generally considered to be extremely easy to grow and will normally germinate pretty rapidly when started from seed - the reason for them not working - is in most cases - not what you are doing that is wrong but the fact that the seeds are of poor quality - which is why it very definitely worth having another a go at growing chives from seed :)

Ask a Question