Chirstmas Herbs

Reaction score
I like to make my own Christmas gifts. I was wondering if there where any herbs that I could grow in individual pots for this purpose. They would need to be planted now I think. I was hopeing to grow them for indoor decoration. It would be nice to have them for cooking also. Does anyone do this? If so, could you give me some pointers?

Reaction score
I am thinking the rosemary plant would be a great Christmas gift as not only does it have a lot of medicinal benefits but it is also makes a great cup of tea and can be used when cooking numerous dishes.

It's also great gives a great taste to all those salads that are made at Christmas time...it have always being my secret ingredient in my salads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a wonderful idea for a Christmas gift!:)
Most herbs grow really fast. If I were you, I'd choose mint, chocolate mint, basil and lemon balm. They all smell really lovely.

Reaction score
It's a wonderful idea for a Christmas gift!:)
Most herbs grow really fast. If I were you, I'd choose mint, chocolate mint, basil and lemon balm. They all smell really lovely.

Claudine i have never really heard of chocolate mint or it could be a case that i know it by a different name...do you have a picture of the chocolate mint you mentioned?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine i have never really heard of chocolate mint or it could be a case that i know it by a different name...do you have a picture of the chocolate mint you mentioned?
Sure, here is a picture of chocolate mint I've just found online:):

Mint-Chocolate_Mint.jpg

I learned about chocolate mint on this forum:) I haven't tried to grow it yet, but I'll definitely do it as soon as I have my own kitchen and more space on window sills:)

Reaction score
I like all of your suggestion. You have shown me a good variety, so I could mix them up, and the recipients wouldn't feel as if they got the same thing as every one else. I could paint the containers different colors, and personalize the pots too. The family generally expect cooked, or canned goodies. It will be nice to surprise them.

Reaction score
Sure, here is a picture of chocolate mint I've just found online:):

Mint-Chocolate_Mint.jpg

I learned about chocolate mint on this forum:) I haven't tried to grow it yet, but I'll definitely do it as soon as I have my own kitchen and more space on window sills:)

Claudine thanks for providing me with this picture, it's actually the first time that i am seeing the chocolate mint...i will do some research and see if any of my neighbors have this mint growing in their gardens.

Reaction score
What a great gift! I think I might copy it if you don't mind. I'd recommend rosemary or mint too. They smell very good and remind me of winter.

Reaction score
I was wondering if rosemary could be propagated by clppings? I was thinking I might buy one rosemary plant, take cuttings, and plant them now. What do you guys and gals recomend for the potting soil? Should it be a sandy soil, peat moss, or just good ole soil? I like the idea of mint also, but someone a long time ago, told me cats will dig in it. What do you think?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosemary is easily propagated. Put several clippings (new growth that has green stems, not the brown stems) in a pot with a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite, cover with plastic (I use a 2 liter clear plastic pop bottle with the bottom cut off and the cap still on), keep damp but not soggy. When the rosemary develops roots put in a pot with potting mix and keep damp, but not soggy.
Mint can be rooted easily by simply fastening a branch down into the soil with either a stone or upside-down U shaped wire, and when the roots are established, cut the new plant from the old branch and plant.
Cats go for nepetia, aka catnip, but don't usually dig in spearmint, peppermint, or any of the other mints.

Reaction score
Giving herbs as a Christmas Gifts is a wonderful idea and normally something that is generally very much appreciated too - especially as there are so many extremely attractive varieties to choose from - with colorful foliage as well as irresistible aromas - such as

all purple basil varieties
lime basil
cinnamon basil - which has a lovely hint of cinnamon

thyme - with its many variegated varieties

sage - purple and variegated

and of course all the mints - like for instance the one already mentioned - chocolate mint - which I would highly recommend - as although it doesn't actually taste like chocolate - its beautiful burgundy foliage does have a deliciously subtle chocolate mint fragrance - as well as

the white or yellow variegated spearmint or peppermint
pineapple mint
ginger mint

and many, many more too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with mint. It can be used for lots of things and it fits with the season. Sage and thyme would also be good choices because people tend to make more savory dishes during the winter months.

Ask a Question